AOS Submission - Originals?

Hello,

Quick question: Do we submit original forms like the certified marriage certificate and original chinese birth certificate with translation or do we send copies initially?

Thanks in advance!

Always send copies unless they specifically ask you to send in the originals.

That being said, with regards to the two specifics you mention above, it's a good idea to send an official and certified copy of your marriage cert and you should include the original certified copy and translation of her birth cert. The one she obtained from the notary office in China is a certified copy, it's not an original. So in these two specific instances, include these original certified copies. But make sure to make copies for yourself. Or alternatively, you can send in the copies and keep the certified copies for yourself. I'd go with the former, but your choice.

Edited by SirLancelot (see edit history)
USCIS no longer routinely requires submission of original documents or "certified copies." Instead, ordinary legible photocopies of such documents (including naturalization certificates and alien registration cards) will be acceptable for initial filing and approval of petitions and applications.

At the discretion of the officer, original documents may still be required in individual cases. Please be advised that USCIS no longer returns original documents submitted with the exception of Certificates of Naturalization, Forms I-551, Permanent Resident Card, Forms I-94, Arrival/Departure Document, valid passports, or those specifically requested by the officer. Such documents will be returned when they are no longer needed.

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...00045f3d6a1RCRD