Since I know the question is going to come up from Zhen I should probably have some sort of answer ready. She is eager to work to contribute to the household so I better be prepared. Personally I would prefer she just study her english and not worry about work, but she is Chinese and you can't tell her what to do.

I think I read that she can get her SSN shortly after her arrival. And if I understand correctly she will be able to apply for a greencard after we are married and apply for the AOS. Will she be able to work at any time prior to applying for the greencard and its arrival?

Thanks in advance,

I think there's a lot of depends upon answers, Patrick. And, a lot may depend on where you live, a little luck, pluck and some moxy too.

Lou's wife found work at his local supermarket as a cashier (I think) shortly after her arrival. And, her English was very limited then (another Nanning lady).

Here in my hood there are so many Asian business and very few give a hoot about any SSN or work permit.

Then for others who are more isolated or in smaller cities may have more difficulty.

Just my opinion. I suppose if she wants it bad enough, she'll find something. But, then again, maybe you're just thinking too much about it. :lol:

Rak ... the K1 ability to work is a sham. It only lasts for 90 days and requires additional documentation.

Most likely the fastest to work is to file EAD in conjunction with AOS. They must grant EAD within 90 days. If they don't go to InfoPass and they will fix.

EAD also provides an early government photo ID.

If she will take your family name be sure to file that way on all docs.