Been a while...news and info :)

A quick update on our progress...

My fiance received her "Packet 3" forms in Cambodia yesterday (YESSSSSSSSS!), with instructions for her medical exam and a list of documents. She's supposed to get the medical exam, assemble the documents, and return it all to the embassy in Phnom Penh as soon as she has everything they're asking for.

We have pretty much everything ready except for the medical paperwork and she'll be going to one of the two "approved" exam locations within a day or so to get that done.

She called me up last night just bouncing off the walls and saying "Oooh darling, I'm so exciting, I'm so exciting!!" (She means, "I'm so excited", lol. :headbang: )

I don't know what the lead time is after she returns the paperwork to the embassy, but we're both hoping like crazy that she'll get to have her interview while I'm there this time...I'm due to be there February 7th through the 19th, so with a little luck it may just all work out perfectly.

So.......that's where we're at now.

"I'm so exciting, I'm so exciting!!" lol :rolleyes:

I stubled across your wonderful thread today. Such a wonderful story(s)! I look forward to your pictures and stories when your love arrives here. It will be a whole exiting adventure for you both. I hope it is soon. I share all these wonderful stories with my fiancee. It helps us both deal with the wait! Thanks so much.
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

A quick update from Cambodia.....

I got here the 7th, just in time for the Chinese New Year extravaganza. What a blast- the town goes berserk and everything is just plain crazy. :lol:

I got in and my fiance and I got to work on the Packet 3 paperwork. She had everything she needed so all we did was sign it, affix a couple of passport-style pictures and bundle it up. We went across town to the EMS station and had them courier it to the US Embassy (which is only about a block away). Apparently EMS is the preferred way to move a legal-size envelope 1,000 feet in Cambodia. It's also one of the few ways the embassy allows you to turn in legal documents for processing.

Soooooooooooo, we're just waiting to hear from them as to when Sakha's interview will be. I'm flying out tomorrow and my guess is that they'll call her a week or so after I get back, and they'll give her 30 days notice of the interview date.

If all goes well then she should be in the US in time to celebrate her birthday in April. We'll see..............I'll do a trip log when I get back and I'll post a link to it here.

The trip log will have lots of fun/cool stuff to report this time- i.e. what happens when you argue with the Cambodia Traffic Cops, The Unfortunate Experience Of Accidentally Running Over A Couple of Innocent Schoolgirls, Weird Hooting Noises Cambodian Girls Make, Drilling For Oil In Our Hotel Room, What To Do When They Insist You CANNOT Take A Picture, Fishing For Lunch (Sort Of), The Magic Traffic Horn, Prohibited Fruit, and a bunch of other nonsense. Stay tuned. :D

Guest Mike and Lily

A quick update from Cambodia.....

I got here the 7th, just in time for the Chinese New Year extravaganza. What a blast- the town goes berserk and everything is just plain crazy. :rolleyes:

I got in and my fiance and I got to work on the Packet 3 paperwork. She had everything she needed so all we did was sign it, affix a couple of passport-style pictures and bundle it up. We went across town to the EMS station and had them courier it to the US Embassy (which is only about a block away). Apparently EMS is the preferred way to move a legal-size envelope 1,000 feet in Cambodia. It's also one of the few ways the embassy allows you to turn in legal documents for processing.

Soooooooooooo, we're just waiting to hear from them as to when Sakha's interview will be. I'm flying out tomorrow and my guess is that they'll call her a week or so after I get back, and they'll give her 30 days notice of the interview date.

If all goes well then she should be in the US in time to celebrate her birthday in April. We'll see..............I'll do a trip log when I get back and I'll post a link to it here.

The trip log will have lots of fun/cool stuff to report this time- i.e. what happens when you argue with the Cambodia Traffic Cops, The Unfortunate Experience Of Accidentally Running Over A Couple of Innocent Schoolgirls, Weird Hooting Noises Cambodian Girls Make, Drilling For Oil In Our Hotel Room, What To Do When They Insist You CANNOT Take A Picture, Fishing For Lunch (Sort Of), The Magic Traffic Horn, Prohibited Fruit, and a bunch of other nonsense. Stay tuned. <_<

I can't wait. Sounds like there is never a dull moment over there. I be you can't wait to come to the USA and watch the paint dry! Keep us informed.

The trip log will have lots of fun/cool stuff to report this time- i.e. what happens when you argue with the Cambodia Traffic Cops, The Unfortunate Experience Of Accidentally Running Over A Couple of Innocent Schoolgirls, Weird Hooting Noises Cambodian Girls Make, Drilling For Oil In Our Hotel Room, What To Do When They Insist You CANNOT Take A Picture, Fishing For Lunch (Sort Of), The Magic Traffic Horn, Prohibited Fruit, and a bunch of other nonsense. Stay tuned. :lol:

Sounds like you've got a whole season's worth of episodes there. Can't wait to hear them. :D

Good luck with the interview date. ;)

• 2 months later...

We're closing in on it, so help me god. :angry:

I got back a week ago from the last trip and I'll be leaving for what I hope will be the final trip, or at least the last one for a long, long, time. My fiance's interview is on May 2oth, so I'm going back on the 17th to be there with her for it. Wish me (her) luck!

If you're interested, there's a new trip log here:

In this episode: Really, Really Hot, Moto Accidents, and Hacking The Hotel Room...plus other Bonus Stuff. :(

Trip # whatever (the page may take a moment to load)

Some sad news to mention that's not in the trip log...my fiance's father passed away very suddenly just after I left on the previous trip. :(

He had a stroke and was gone in a couple of days, so this last trip was bittersweet. He felt sick, then he lost the ability to move one side of his body, then he couldn't speak...and he died while they were taking him to a hospital in Vietnam. He was a very well-liked person in his neighborhood and I couldn't believe it when I heard what happened. The first time I saw him he was smiling and laughing and welcoming me into his family, and he and his wife made me feel right at home immediately. I'm sad that he won't get to see his daughter go to the US, which was something he was looking forward to very, very much, and this has blown a huge, father-shaped hole in the family. He was given a traditional Vietnamese funeral and was laid to rest near his sister's home in Vietnam.

On a happier note, I introduced one of my best friends to one of my fiance's girlfriends...they hit it off and he'll be going with me on this trip to get engaged. :lol: How cool is that? :)

I gotta tell ya, due to all the trips and time zone changes this last year and a half, my sleep cycle is completely whacked. I get up at 1 or 2am, take a nap about 10am, and feel drowsy again by dinner. Argg.

Edited by RunningWithScissors (see edit history)
  • 2 weeks later...

A quick update........... :)

I'm in Cambodia right now, writing this from our room in the New York Hotel.

My fiance had her interview this morning at 0700. It took about 90 minutes and I'm very, very, VERY happy to report that she passed! :) We're scheduled to go pick up her visa on Friday and fly back to the US on the 25th or 27th. I'll make a little more detailed post later, but right now we're going out to celebrate.

I can't believe we're actually going to come back together- no more using Skype every night, no more tearful goodbyes at the airport, and no more being apart 95% of the time. :)

Finally, a big "thank you" from me to everyone here for all the help and support this last year and a half.