Electric Wok

I recntly purchased an electric wok from HSN for Zhen to use when she eventually arrives. The price was only $49.00 so I don't think it a big loss if she doesn't like it. I normally am not a HSN shopper, but I was channel surfing while it was being demonstrated and it looked interesting so I did the impulse purchase thing.

Has anyone else used one of these and is it any good?

Here is a link to view the Wok Electric Wok

Edited by Rakkasan (see edit history)

if i was you ,i would go down to walmart, and get one that will work on a stove, and too, they like a big pan with a lid ,we have one of those electric woks, wen never use it,maybe you will have better luck with your so :rolleyes:

if i was you ,i would go down to walmart, and get one that will work on a stove, and too, they like a big pan with a lid ,we have one of those electric woks, wen never use it,maybe you will have better luck with your so :rolleyes:

I have a wok shaped frying pan that I use on the stove top.

I avoid Wal-mart at all costs. Hate the place. Would rather pay more for something than darken their doorway. :ph34r:

I recntly purchased an electric wok from HSN for Zhen to use when she eventually arrives. The price was only $49.00 so I don't think it a big loss if she doesn't like it. I normally am not a HSN shopper, but I was channel surfing while it was being demonstrated and it looked interesting so I did the impulse purchase thing.

That electric wok will be good for frying french fries in deep fat.

To be fair,in Chinese homes,people cook with electric woks and little electric burners.

If she is used to cooking with electric,like many college students living in small apartments do,then she will be able to cook some very good food.

You cant use this kind of wok to cook "real" Chinese food,but it can be use to cook authentic "home cooked" Chinese dishes.

If you buy a wok,either a "real" one,or one with a flat spot on the bottom for electric stoves,make sure its heavy and good quality,but not fancy and expensive.

I would expect that in America you can go to a Chinesemarket,or restaurant supply and get a REAL Chinese wok,the best choice.

If you have a gas burner,then a real wok is fine,but dont try touse a round bottomed wok on an American electric stove.Youmust get one with a flat spot on the bottom.

To be fair,in Chinese homes,people cook with electric woks and little electric burners.

If she is used to cooking with electric,like many college students living in small apartments do,then she will be able to cook some very good food.

You cant use this kind of wok to cook "real" Chinese food,but it can be use to cook authentic "home cooked" Chinese dishes.

If you buy a wok,either a "real" one,or one with a flat spot on the bottom for electric stoves,make sure its heavy and good quality,but not fancy and expensive.

I would expect that in America you can go to a Chinesemarket,or restaurant supply and get a REAL Chinese wok,the best choice.

If you have a gas burner,then a real wok is fine,but dont try touse a round bottomed wok on an American electric stove.Youmust get one with a flat spot on the bottom.

For the round bottom wok they sell a ring it sets in that will hold it well on a gas stove.

Personally I have never seen an electric wok that can heat high enough or change temp fast enough to avoid burning if it gets hot enough. Teflon also does not get hot enough to stir fry.

Don't try to guess what will work. Spend your time finding the nearest Asian store with real cookware. Then when she arrives take her there to outfit her kitchen. This is the best way to make her feel it is her kitchen.

For the round bottom wok they sell a ring it sets in that will hold it well on a gas stove.

Personally I have never seen an electric wok that can heat high enough or change temp fast enough to avoid burning if it gets hot enough. Teflon also does not get hot enough to stir fry.

Don't try to guess what will work. Spend your time finding the nearest Asian store with real cookware. Then when she arrives take her there to outfit her kitchen. This is the best way to make her feel it is her kitchen.

Dan, you forgot to add that even most gas burner stove tops cannot heat a wok to the appropriate heat. Stir fryers normally quick sear food at high temps. So, does the style of the wok really matter when the heat source isn't adequate?

Dan, you forgot to add that even most gas burner stove tops cannot heat a wok to the appropriate heat. Stir fryers normally quick sear food at high temps. So, does the style of the wok really matter when the heat source isn't adequate?

We have no problem with our gas stove heating hot enough. Our oil coated walls and exhaust hood are proof of it :) Besides almost hot enough is better than nearly warm.

We have no problem with our gas stove heating hot enough. Our oil coated walls and exhaust hood are proof of it :) Besides almost hot enough is better than nearly warm.

Well, you've seen our older stove. It won't heat no wok in no way that it should. Makes good noodles though. But, what do I know? Just ask Leiqin. Let's see what she says. :P

Edited by Dennis143 (see edit history)

[/url]

But for Chinese home cooking,you dont need that "restaurant style" searing hot wok.

In the home,we have used wood burning wok (my personal favorite Chinese cooking),gas burner and "electric coil" or electric wok.

You just dont need big heat when cooking the homestyle meals.

Ive set a place up near my back yard grill for wok cooking over open fire.Its cleaner thisway.

If you really need the heat for real Chinese cooking,just put it outside.

No matter what kind of ventelating system you have in your kitchen,there is no way to avoid smoke and oil everywhere with Chinese cooking.

If you really want to build a "cook house",I would combine a BBQ Grill and build a proper home made Chinese wood burning wok with one great big wok and one smaller wok,made of bricks,somewhere in the back yard.

You can buy those heavy metal woks,in all different sizes to fit,at a Chinese restaurant supply store.

I bought a flat bottomed carbon steel wok from San Francisco. I use it every day on an electric range. When it gets too hot then I remove it from the heating element. My wife uses a flat bottomed cast iron wok on the traditional 2 burner gas stove with the propane tank inside the house. I think that there is an art to using a wok efficiently and I don't think an electric wok could do this.

I bought a flat bottomed carbon steel wok from San Francisco.

I cook that way too on electric with flat wok,but Im always afraid that Im wasting too much electricity by lifting the wok off,and Im afraid it may damage the burner from shaking the wok and letting the burner get cherry red.

We have no problem with our gas stove heating hot enough. Our oil coated walls and exhaust hood are proof of it :P Besides almost hot enough is better than nearly warm.

Well, you've seen our older stove. It won't heat no wok in no way that it should. Makes good noodles though. But, what do I know? Just ask Leiqin. Let's see what she says. :P

I think your stove works just fine. Oh and don't you owe David and I a breakfast for skipping out last Saturday :)

I bought a flat bottomed carbon steel wok from San Francisco.

I cook that way too on electric with flat wok,but Im always afraid that Im wasting too much electricity by lifting the wok off,and Im afraid it may damage the burner from shaking the wok and letting the burner get cherry red.

Well now you have a good point. With gas you can turn off the burner when it gets too hot. Every jiao counts dude.

Chinese people don't use electricity to cook unless they have to--meaning no other alternatives. They ideally cook with gas but coal would be a better alternative then electricity. As TB states, certain segment of the population--mostly dorm confined workers/students who have no access to coal/gas stove--may cook with electricity, but wok cooking is not productive on an electric stove or electric wok. You need to be able to quickly heat up or cool down the wok and you simply can't do that with an electric stove/wok.

If I recall, I've seen photos of you with your SO in China with her family. Do you recall what kind of wok or cook ware she or her family cooks with? It's probably the best to ask her.

Lastly, Chinese folks like LIGHT and THIN woks which will conduct heat very quickly verses the big, thick and heavy gauge cookware that American companies like to make and market. I have an expensive set of Calphalons which I love but both my ex-wife and current wife do not like because they're so heavy and they heat up much slower than a light and thin wok that most Chinese people use in China.

So I gave up trying to convert my wife to use my expensive set and bought her some cheap, lighter Calphalon cookware she'll use.

http://www.kohls.com/products/product_page...D=1182322047545

I purchased two of these for her last week. They're working out pretty well but they won't last. A couple of years of use and we'll need to replace these I'm sure.