New Legislation???

My fiancee has her social security card marked "Valid for employment only with DHS Authorization". She took her tests for a DMV learner's permit which she passed but the DMV officer said that a new law was passed this past friday requiring people to get a document from DHS showing dates of employment. I called around DHS and talked to someone who obviously wasnt the brightest bulb in the box and couldnt understand what I was trying to explain to her and she said that I had to wait until we got married. Does anyone know anything about this or has anyone heard anything about this? Is this a federal law or another example of screwed up backwards legisation from the great state of North Carolina?

This is outrageous! Yet another example of how the governement is making it harder for people that are trying to do things the right way and easier for those to come into the country illegally. I should have told my fiancee to change her name to Consuela and fly into Mexico City then walk across the border. Then they would have rolled out the red carpet for her then.

Sounds like someone at the NC DMV is a bit confused, sounds like SC just passed a DMV rule requiring EAD, not a federal law.

I know this may be a state law, many states require either EAD or Green-Card before issuing a drivers license, this is the case for New York.

That notation on the SSA card is there to tell employers that the SSN is not work authorization, and to require some other proof of work auth, like EAD card, Green-Card, or EAD stamp in passport in cases like K-1.

Note after getting a green card, take both the green-card, and SS card to your SSA office and order a SS card without the notation on it.

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)