Am I in my right mind?

When you lease a place from a person. Whether it is with furniture or not it is the same. You have leased (sub-leased, whatever), rented a house or apartment from an individual, giving you certain rights. If you let the landlord place items in the house, you give him legal access to the house at any time. Otherwise, in an agreement the landlord has to give you notice of entering your premises, usually 24 hours or more. If you agree he could come in any time to get or look at his things. He could also claim items stolen and there would be a legal battle over this. He could be hiding illegal items or drugs within his belongings, which you would be arrested for if something happened. He would just deny they were his. You couldn't prove it as you are in possession of the property through a legal binding contract.

Check with the Landlord/Tenant act in your state/city.

He rented the property to you with furniture - it is part of the agreement. You owe him nothing besides your monthly rent. You have no obligation to go above and beyond this and I wouldn't. Too many legal remifications.

One further word - never trust a lawyer or one who wants to be. I used to be a paralegal. I worked with several attorneys. They were all corrupt.