OT - New Computer Virus

New Computer Virus Spreads in Asia, U.S.

By Reuters, 5/12/2003

HONG KONG (Reuters) - A new computer virus, the Fizzer worm, is spreading in Japan, other Asian countries and the United States, a Japanese anti-virus vendor said on Monday.

Japan had reported a significant number of infections by the WORM-FIZZER.A virus, while other Asian countries and the United States have also reported infections, Trend Micro Inc said in a statement issued in Hong Kong.

The company has issued a ''medium risk'' alert for the mass- mailing worm that spreads via email and Kazaa peer-to-peer file sharing network and affects systems running the Windows 95, 98, ME, NT, 2000 and XP operating systems.

''It sends an email message with varying format to all the addresses found in the Windows Address Book and Microsoft Outlook,'' Trend Micro said.

The worm arrives as a file attachment with a .EXE, .PIF, .COM, or .SCR extension. The subject, message and attachment are randomly generated from a hard-coded lists.

Other security software makers issued similar warnings through their Web sites, including U.S. firm Symantec Corp (www.symantec.com) and Finland's F-Secure (www.f-secure.com/v-descs/fizzer.shtml).

Guest enight

new virus? :lol:

I am not worrying... since I have been using Norton, my computer never effected virus,

if... really met deadly virus, it will be a good excuse to update a new PC :lol:

Guest enight

Sandy MM, if your computer has been infected by virus, it depends on how badly your PC has been infected...

you can try to use an Antivirus disk to rescure the computer.

if your computer has no important documents or you don't have a resucre disk, you can format the harddriver then reinstall the system,

and install an AntiVirus program before the first time you go online.