English

I did some searching in the forum, but didn't see this covered. Is there a particular Company or Program that is good for our SOs to learn English? Any suggestions? My girlfriend still lives in Shanghai, I go there in about two months(first visit) I'd like to bring some CDs with me. Thanks!

My SO is getting tutoring 3 days a week...cost: 45 yuan for 2 hours....I've spoken to her tutor, an English major(pursuing a Masters) at the University in Nanning, she's very good....even has a good accent....I sent some $$ each month to cover this and a little extra for phone and internet costs....but she is making the money stretch very far...."Lao Gong, you no waste money!" is what I hear the most when I try to spoil her a little.....she says we need to save for our future together as a family......after my ex spent me into the poorhouse, this is a welcome wind!

I did take her some Pimsleur CD's....English for Mandarin Speakers...she likes them, and uses them to practice between tutoring lessons....we also have impromtu English lessons on the phone and webcam....she learns really quick when I am over in China with her....she says I am "good teacher"....sssssssssss....that's the sound of me letting the air out of my "big head"......I for sure ain't teaching her to drive!!! That way lies disaster!!! Kind of like"The one who represents himself in court has a fool for a client!"....if you know what I mean..... :)

Hope this helps.

Steve

I have been teaching English in China for over two years now and I have found that the absolute best way for my students to learn English is to have them read novels written in English (without Chinese notes) or watch a favorite DVD movie over and over until they know the dialogue word for word.

They seem to be more inclined to do this because it is not structured like a lesson.

Yes, my SO is doing this as well......as her sister told me a couple of days ago, "Aiwen is crazy for learning the English, she is working at it all the time."

Side note: She already had a pretty good vocabulary when we first met, she studied English in secondary school and college.

Her biggest complaint:" Hard to speak English in China, everyone speaking Chinese!" I was amazed how fast she improved in just the first three weeks we were together in China the first time we met in person....my Chinese got better too.....

Not only did I hit the jackpot with a wonderful woman from China, I gained a great family as well. They are so welcoming and supportive, I am sometimes just overwhelmed......

Steve

Edited by Steve and Aiwen (see edit history)
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Another resource for your SOs learning and practicing English... I am told that alot of libraries in China have "English Corner". It is where a bunch of Chinese people get together and practice English. They are usually attended by an English professor or maybe even a native speaker. I know Guangzhou library downtown has one that meets every Sunday.

slw268, What kind of novels do you recommend? Also what kind of DVD movies? Are you talking about Wuthering Height type novels or Daniele Steele's type novels? Or doesn't it matter? I was thinking about reuns of TV shows like I Love Lucy. I believe "middle of the road English" is normally spoke by the cast (except for Ricky) and also the actors' actions are a little bit animated which might make the viewer understand what is going on a little bit better. Also the humour may be keep the viewer's interest. I have a friend who wife is from Central America. She loves the show Little House on the Prairie. Who would have thought!!! Danb