Question concerning money sent from China to USA?

What is the best way for someone to send money from China to the USA?

Patrick & Li

...To carry it themselves on the plane in their carry-on.

if anyone else knows a better way, I'd like to know!

I wouldn't take a chance in mailing any appreciable amount of cash. It will "get lost."

LOL...ty, but I mean by wire, or deposit or someway other than mailing or carrying it.

I was never able to find a way to get money out of China by wire or even by paypal. Paypal will let you move RMB's around the mainland but not out of China.

I never wired any money to China but I know it can be done. But wiring money out of China is currently out of the common person's reach.

Maybe one day, if and when the banks in China become solvent and some reform is put in place. But for now...it's a No-Go!

The major western banks (BoA, Citi, etc.) in China only deal in corporate accounts and not individual accounts.

The only way is to carry it out by hand.

Anything over $10,000 needs to be reported to US Customs upon arrival.

What is the best way for someone to send money from China to the USA?

Patrick & Li

We use Western Union - No Problems!

I use western union for small amouts , charge less . you also can use banks to transfer , most of them have flat fee, is cheaper for large amounts, there are limits to how much you can send a month( need more use more ways)

John

• 3 weeks later...

In the posts offices you can send dollars into the US. First you need your SO to change RMB for dollars, it is a project for an American to do it. Then go to the post office, and find the Western Union window. They will immediately try and get you to send the money Western Union, simply because it is the most expensive option, but China Post has a contract with Deutsche Bank to handle international wire transfers. You simply fill out the form, you will need your bank account number and routing number, and watch them enter the info into the computer to make sure they do not make any mistakes.

The first few times I went to the post office they told me it was impossible to do this. Then one day I found a person who knew what they were doing, and she explained to me that this option was available. It takes 2-3 business days and it is half the cost of Western Union for a $1000 transfer. I used this option for several months, sending most of my money to my dollar account in the States. If they tell you this is impossible, talk to a different person.