Finding a job

The interview is next month. My SO's life is about to change in ways that will be incomprehensible to those who have never lived through them. Two weeks ago their was a fascinating column in the Wall Street Journal, from an american who worked in Shanghai. He was highlighting some of the different cultural adjustments that must be made when working in a foriegn land. I laughed out loud when he illustrated in one quick anecdote of a coworker mentioning to him during an elevator ride that "he had gotten fat" that brutal honesty from our SO's that we all know and love. In another section, I could sense his disdain as he described the practice engaged by many chinese workers of taking a quick nap during lunch time (even though study after study shows an increase in productivity after a quick 20-30 minute mid afternoon snooze, the practice has never caught on here)

I am meandering here, but the goal of my post is to engage our veterens in their experience with job hunting, and the cultural change of the american corporate environment. Did their SO's stay close to their own experience an work among fellow Chinese immigrants? How long was their adjustment if they worked among americans? What pitfalls do we need to watch out for? How bout finding a job? How did you guide your SO through the job hunting process which is unlike anything in China?

I am sure this topic has been discussed in the past but it is so important I am hopeful, a new round of discussions will be quite helpful .

YanXia is college educated working for a large Chinese manufacturer as a representative to english speaking companies, her main customer is an american company.

Thanks

Jay

Edited by evansfan (see edit history)
  • 1 month later...

job hunting is definitely a huge part for us chinese SOs to adjust in this new country.

At the beginning, i didn't think it would be a problem for me to find a job because i was well educated. but i'm completely wrong. i'm so not prepared for this tough job hunting experience.

a couple of months ago, i started a post about my (i'm a Chinese SO )confusion of job hunting. No luck during the past few monthes. i'm still looking for a job. a job that i like, i can apply what i've learned from college. but without industry experience, limited by the geographic location, i don't have much to choose.

my depression is the main problem that my hubby and i have to deal with from time to time. my hubby is always very encouraging. but sometimes this just makes me feel more guilty for not working. my hubby tried to tell me that my depression really hurt him. i want him to understand that i feel so lucky and happy to be with him and my depression is only because of the job hunting. i also try not to be so upset. but i just can help myself sometimes.

i don't know if this is only my personal problem. but still i want to share it with you here.

job hunting is definitely a huge part for us chinese SOs to adjust in this new country.

At the beginning, i didn't think it would be a problem for me to find a job because i was well educated. but i'm completely wrong. i'm so not prepared for this tough job hunting experience.

a couple of months ago, i started a post about my (i'm a Chinese SO )confusion of job hunting. No luck during the past few monthes. i'm still looking for a job. a job that i like, i can apply what i've learned from college. but without industry experience, limited by the geographic location, i don't have much to choose.

my depression is the main problem that my hubby and i have to deal with from time to time. my hubby is always very encouraging. but sometimes this just makes me feel more guilty for not working. my hubby tried to tell me that my depression really hurt him. i want him to understand that i feel so lucky and happy to be with him and my depression is only because of the job hunting. i also try not to be so upset. but i just can help myself sometimes.

i don't know if this is only my personal problem. but still i want to share it with you here.

You sound like an honest person, tweety121, and I'll be the first to tell you that you are not alone.

Alot that you describe holds true for my wife who hasn't been able to find a job.

Like you say, location has alot to do with it.

We live way out in the rural area and there's just nowhere around to find her a job. We have looked to no avail.

She too, feels depression but she hides it well. I do all I can to relieve her of it, too.

From our experience, I have learned that "location" means everything! Location!, ocation!, ocation!.............:blink:

So, don't feel alone and fight your depression. I'm a very optimistic person and I'm sure, in time, you will find the job you want. I will also help my wife in finding the job she wants too.

Your written English is very good tweety. I assume that you understand spoken English well too. This gives you a big edge over most of our sweet hearts when they first come here. My wife was a lawyer in China. Here she works in production in an ink cartridge factory. She takes it all in stride but still wishes she could find a better job. She once told me "in China I was tiger. Here dog or cat can eat me". My advise is to take a job doing what ever you can. My father told me that the best time to look for a job is when you already have one. There is truth to that. If you don't have a job sometimes employers wonder if there is something wrong with you that is why you are unemployed. It also tells employers that you are a do what ever it takes to get the job done kind of person.

Another antecedent from my father who was a very wise man. When I was in college the only job I could find was as a janitor in a hotel on the graveyard shift. I was bemoaning to my father that this job was beneath me. He became a little angry with me and said "it's honest work isn't it? There is always honor in honest work." I have never forgotten those words and to this day I always make it a point to thank people in the service industry, the waitress, the guy who pumps my gas or what ever. They work hard for their meager living and deserve my gratitude.

Good luck.

Carl

Edited by warpedbored (see edit history)

I don't really mind starting a job with low pay or temp job. My confusion is that i don't know how to answer the question: "Why do you want to work here/ why are you interested in this position?" when i apply for some position that has nothing to do with my education background. I feel that the employers kind of know that i will leave that position once i find a position that matches my qualification. I don't know if i should say "I need a job, please."

I don't really mind starting a job with low pay or temp job. My confusion is that i don't know how to answer the question: "Why do you want to work here/ why are you interested in this position?" when i apply for some position that has nothing to do with my education background. I feel that the employers kind of know that i will leave that position once i find a position that matches my qualification. I don't know if i should say "I need a job, please."

Finding a job is difficult for most... it's an added pressure to those coming over and I'm sure stressful if your trying to do it without much help... I actually found the lead for the first two jobs she got; I even called the employer for the second job as the first contact to schedule an interview. The third one was more from the 'networking' we had developed...

As for this employer question, there is nothing wrong with answering that you are new to the country and want to learn about american businesses and plan to work hard to contribute to the company and you hope they will give you that chance...

My confusion is that i don't know how to answer the question: "Why do you want to work here/ why are you interested in this position?" when i apply for some position that has nothing to do with my education background. I feel that the employers kind of know that i will leave that position once i find a position that matches my qualification. I don't know if i should say "I need a job, please."

Hi Tweety,

I suggest for this question stay positive and don't say anything too desperate. Try to find something about the job that is appealing, and talk about how you'd be good at it. For example, "I enjoy working with people" "I'm very good at organizational tasks" "I think I could contribute to ..." "I'd be able to add value to your company by..." You don't have to answer that it's your dream job."

Hope you find something soon!

You guys are making me worry about my husband looking for a job in the States when we move there. I've been toying with the idea of investing in a franchise or starting some kind of shop (Asian-decor tea and coffee shop?) that he could run. Hmm... It's sounding more and more like a better idea.

Heather