AOS appointment quandry

Ok Our anniversary is 9/28. 9/28/07 will be 2 years.

We have an appointment for the 485 on March 21, 2007 which is still fully six months before our 2 year anniversary.

Biometrics was 2/2/07, but we are opting to hold off on this until leter (we have until 4/16/07, but we'll want to go late March probably).

We DO NOT want to pay twice for AOS. So I guess I need to know if the whole 485/765 process must be reapplied for for a 10 year green card, likely with the MUCH HIGHER fees being proposed (what was $575 now may well be over $1000 if they change the fees to what is proposed), or if the process for getting the 10 year is simpler (and cheaper)

If it is the same thing, again, then are we on a pace to get our 10 year, or are we too early? Do I dare call them and ask to reschedule? Do I tell them at the interview we would prefer to hold off until the 10 year, or does that wave a red flag in their face?

My wife is wanting me to go right to the reschedule, but I want to stay as far off their radar as possible, with as few flags because I have had a hellish time getting any substantial documentation of joint accounts and such. House and car - forget it. I can get her on taxes, utilities, and thats about it, without a SSN. (SEE SUPPORTING EVIDENCE post)

Thanks in advance for any and all help and ideas!

Merc

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know much about rescheduling. There's been some talk here about it and maybe there's someone out there whose done it before who can chime in but my thoughts are half and half about it. Half of me says check into it with the USCIS and see what they say and the other half says, just stick to the schedule.

It wouldn't hurt to call and find out. Call the 1-800 number then hit 1-2-3. If the menu hasn't changed, this will put you in touch with the ASC appointment schedulers. Tell them you want to speak with an immgration officer about what you need to do to reschedule your AOS appointment.

This might be a round-about way to getting to a live person but it sure beats waiting on hold for the next entry-level operator with an idiot sheet.

Again, it wouldn't hurt to ask and find out.

Be creative! Be confident! Be sure!............ :D

-good luck

We have an appointment for the 485 on March 21, 2007 which is still fully six months before our 2 year anniversary.

Biometrics was 2/2/07, but we are opting to hold off on this until leter (we have until 4/16/07, but we'll want to go late March probably).

We DO NOT want to pay twice for AOS. So I guess I need to know if the whole 485/765 process must be reapplied for for a 10 year green card, likely with the MUCH HIGHER fees being proposed (what was $575 now may well be over $1000 if they change the fees to what is proposed), or if the process for getting the 10 year is simpler (and cheaper)

If it is the same thing, again, then are we on a pace to get our 10 year, or are we too early? Do I dare call them and ask to reschedule? Do I tell them at the interview we would prefer to hold off until the 10 year, or does that wave a red flag in their face?

My wife is wanting me to go right to the reschedule, but I want to stay as far off their radar as possible, with as few flags because I have had a hellish time getting any substantial documentation of joint accounts and such. House and car - forget it. I can get her on taxes, utilities, and thats about it, without a SSN. (SEE SUPPORTING EVIDENCE post)

Merc

I haven't checked into the fees for removal of conditions later but you should be able to delay your interview until October if your wife will "let you".

I decided to wait on filing AOS so the interview comes after our two-year anniversarry. Wife's EAD was approved last week so she can get a SSN and go to work if she wants.

Merc

I haven't checked into the fees for removal of conditions later but you should be able to delay your interview until October if your wife will "let you".

I decided to wait on filing AOS so the interview comes after our two-year anniversarry. Wife's EAD was approved last week so she can get a SSN and go to work if she wants.

I am so confused that I cannot see straight. After realizing this morning (as we stood at the window of the SocSec Office) how badly I screwed up, I have spent hours today looking through old posts to get answers to SSN/EAD/AOS, etc. questions. I had to take a break, and when I came back, I found these posts.

I am probably not comparing apples to bananas to pears to cumquats, because it is sometimes difficult to follow a line of posts before finding out if it was from a K-1, K-3, Cr-1, etc. standpoint.

I got married before getting their SSN numbers, putting me in A MAFAN's position with respect to that. But he's in crunch time, and Merc isn't. So PLEASE, someone explain to me why some folk can get the SSN after getting the EAD as Duke states above, why A MAFAN states that he has to wait until the AOS process is completed (no one contradicted him), or why Merc's wife has been here for quite some time, and she doesn't have a SSN (although I see nothing in his timeline about the EAD).

How comfused am I? Can the I-765 only be filed with the AOS process? I am not picking that up from Duke's post. Is it because they are/were k-3? I've read where the EAD can come faster than the AOS. Do I, as a K-1 have to also wait for the Green Card at this point, before I can get their SSN's? Sorry for all of the name dropping. :huh:

Merc

I am so confused that I cannot see straight. After realizing this morning (as we stood at the window of the SocSec Office) how badly I screwed up, I have spent hours today looking through old posts to get answers to SSN/EAD/AOS, etc. questions. I had to take a break, and when I came back, I found these posts.

I am probably not comparing apples to bananas to pears to cumquats, because it is sometimes difficult to follow a line of posts before finding out if it was from a K-1, K-3, Cr-1, etc. standpoint.

I got married before getting their SSN numbers, putting me in A MAFAN's position with respect to that. But he's in crunch time, and Merc isn't. So PLEASE, someone explain to me why some folk can get the SSN after getting the EAD as Duke states above, why A MAFAN states that he has to wait until the AOS process is completed (no one contradicted him), or why Merc's wife has been here for quite some time, and she doesn't have a SSN (although I see nothing in his timeline about the EAD).

How comfused am I? Can the I-765 only be filed with the AOS process? I am not picking that up from Duke's post. Is it because they are/were k-3? I've read where the EAD can come faster than the AOS. Do I, as a K-1 have to also wait for the Green Card at this point, before I can get their SSN's? Sorry for all of the name dropping. :blink:

Mercator and I are K3. You are K1. It is apples and oranges in many respects. Your circumstances relate better to those of A Mafan.

Kenn is having second thoughts about AOS and would rather have just one interview for a 10 year card. I have the same desire but am using a different strategy. I'm just not filing for AOS until later. EAD is not required unless the immigrant wants to work before completing AOS (K3). So anyway Michael, answers to Mercator's questions are not likely to help you much in your situation.

Edited by Duke (see edit history)

How comfused am I? Can the I-765 only be filed with the AOS process? I am not picking that up from Duke's post. Is it because they are/were k-3? I've read where the EAD can come faster than the AOS. Do I, as a K-1 have to also wait for the Green Card at this point, before I can get their SSN's? Sorry for all of the name dropping. :blink:

Employment Authorization is necessary to obtain an SSN. You have Employment Authorization for Social Security purposes if you are a K-1 within 90 days of arrival, if you have an EAD card (approved I-765), or if you have a green card.

K-1's may file for EAD within the 90 day period(a)(6), but it is almost certain to not get approved before the 90 days is up.

K-3's may file for EAD(a)(9) until that visa expires without also filing for AOS - 2 years.

Or - you may file the I-765 with the I-485 Application for AOS( c )(9)

Three different cases - these are 3 different categories on the EAD application.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

How comfused am I? Can the I-765 only be filed with the AOS process? I am not picking that up from Duke's post. Is it because they are/were k-3? I've read where the EAD can come faster than the AOS. Do I, as a K-1 have to also wait for the Green Card at this point, before I can get their SSN's? Sorry for all of the name dropping. :ph34r:

Employment Authorization is necessary to obtain an SSN. You have Employment Authorization for Social Security purposes if you are a K-1 within 90 days of arrival, if you have an EAD card (approved I-765), or if you have a green card.

K-1's may file for EAD within the 90 day period(a)(6), but it is almost certain to not get approved before the 90 days is up.

K-3's may file for EAD(a)(9) until that visa expires without also filing for AOS - 2 years.

Three different cases - these are 3 different categories on the EAD application.

Thanks Duke, Merc and Randy.

Ok, just to recap, and set my head in the right direction, since I blew the 90 day window, its the Green Card that I am most interested in. The EAD won't help me at this point, correct? Or am I still off base here? Your help and knowledge is most appreciated.

Ok, just to recap, and set my head in the right direction, since I blew the 90 day window, its the Green Card that I am most interested in. The EAD won't help me at this point, correct? Or am I still off base here? Your help and knowledge is most appreciated.

Within the 90 day window, you can apply for SS with only the K-1 visa.

The 90 day EAD would not have gotten you anything, but you can file for EAD with your AOS application, or even afterwards.

Specify the ( c )(9) category

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

What exactly will one need to apply for the SSN with a K-1 visa within 90 days of arrival to the US? Thanks.

I'll defer to Frank on that one - http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...f=7&t=10720

When you go to apply for it, be sure to bring a copy of one of the SSA policies.

The 90 day EAD would not have gotten you anything, but you can file for EAD with your AOS application, or even afterwards.

Specify the ( c )(9) category

Thank you, Sir. :rolleyes:

So my strategy should have been to apply for the EAD and wait another 6-8 months to apply for the AOS so it would better line up with our anniversary.

Well, damn. Call that the $900 (or so, depending on what they finally decide to raise the fees to) question and its answer...