I don't know what to do now

I was wondering? When you filled out the G325 and the I 129F there are sections of these documents that are required to be filled out in the native language. So if you filled out these sections to reflect what your sir name and given name are, then if their is a conflict that Immigration and NVC folks cant figure out then I am sure they would sent you a letter.

I recieved such a letter on my stepson, I got his names backwards on the application, they wanted an original notorial copy of his birthcertificate, I sent it and all went well.

Hope this helps :crazy:

I got confused, my given name in chinese language are two seperated words, so I signed my given name in Pinyin seperatelly also. that's where I made mistake as they tell me I should bound it together. But if I bound the given name together, will the immigration conside it's a confict since one is bounded (in pinyin)and the other (in native language)is separated?

Technically, how you "signed" your name in the "signature" portion of any form is not nearly as important as how it was expressed in the actual biographical sections. How is your name printed on correspondence mailed to you by the US Government so far? If it is wrong, it needs to be corrected. Either DOS or USCIS can tell you how to proceed with any corrections needed.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm at a loss. Why would it be good to use a name different than the one on one's passport? The Chinese passport will show her surname with one character/WANG and below that, her Given Name will show as two characters/Hongmei. She will have no choice ifor the passport. Any attempt to use a different name from her documentation would not seem adviseable. The visa affixed to her passport will show her name in the identical fashion to her passport, minus the Chinese characters.

Surname

Wang

Given Name

Hongmei

Unless she has an official name change, her US name would be Wang, Hongmei or Hongmei Wang. The hyphen is not a part of her official name. She will have no "choice" how it appears on her Chinese passport, US Visa or Green Card unless she gets an official name change.

Because her name isn't Hongmei, it's "Hong Mei".

If your name was

Surname:

Rogers

Given Name:

Duke Evans

You are no more Dukeevens as she is Hongmei.

Just because by convention we generally don't address other people by their first and middle name (Duke Evans) doesn't mean your given name isn't Duke Evans. Hong Mei's given name is indeed Hong Mei, not Hongmei. Just as your given name wouldn't be Dukeevans in the above example.

The Chinese do indeed have and use middle names. It's just that they actually use the middle name in everyday use to address some, unlike in America we don't use the middle name in everyday use to address someone.

Hong Mei are two separate and distinct characters. There is no single Chinese character of "Hongmei".

This is why I suggested Hong-Mei, to fit it into the American system out of practical needs. But it doesn't change the fact that her name is WANG, Hong Mei.

But ultimately, I would agree with using whatever is written on the Chinese Passport. That is the most official ID the Chinese person would have in the US, until she obtains a US passport.

Edited by SirLancelot (see edit history)

I am wondering how crucial the given name actually is regarding a 2 character given name separated by hyphen, a space or joined together? We used a space between the 2 character given name instead of a hyphen. My SO's name is Wang, Li Shu, but is shown on her passport as Wang, Lishu. On all of our paperwork we showed her given name as Li Shu with 'NONE' for a middle name and WANG as her family name. Sometimes NVC sent letters listing her name as Wang, Li Shu and other times as Wang, Lishu. :crazy: