I don't know what to do now

When I filled G-325A form, I didn't know how to format my chinese name in English, so I had my name and the signature wrong. and I had my parent's name wrong also(missed out one part of their name). My so has recently got the NOA2 telling us that the case has been sent to the NVC. I don't know what do now. Should I correct all the mistake by faxing the NVC now or wait untill later? Will they have me to send the petition all over again because of so many mistakes? Since they don't do name check on my parrent's, if it's necessary to correct my parrent's name also?

Any suggestion will be appreciated. Thank you

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it is best to update everything and resend an updated form . make a cover letter explaining everything you stated her . I think hey will understand as long as you do it As soon as possible . Just make sure you point out every updated line on the form

Michael

I'd like to understand better what you mean by you formatted it wrong... You don't have to give us your real name, but use another name to show exactly what mistake you made.

Did you leave out one character of your given name or did you put your name as chinese do (SURNAME Given Name).

And how did you sign the example name (in english or in chinese)?

Then, how did you do it on the I-129F? That form is more important to get correctly...

Edited by DavidZixuan (see edit history)

I'd like to understand better what you mean by you formatted it wrong... You don't have to give us your real name, but use another name to show exactly what mistake you made.

Did you leave out one character of your given name or did you put your name as chinese do (SURNAME Given Name). And how did you sign the example name you can give?

Then, how did you do it on the I-129F? That form is more important to get correctly...

She put her first name as Mei and middle as Hong and last as Wang. Chinese have no middle name and I didn't know that. She didn't know that either. Her first name is Hongmei and her last name is Wang. That's what should have been on the form. The first middle and last was mixed up for her parents also.

I think it is best to update everything and resend an updated form . make a cover letter explaining everything you stated her . I think hey will understand as long as you do it As soon as possible . Just make sure you point out every updated line on the form

Michael

Thank you for the advice, it's very helpful.

Did you leave out one character of your given name or did you put your name as chinese do (SURNAME Given Name). And how did you sign the example name you can give?

She put her first name as Mei and middle as Hong and last as Wang. Chinese have no middle name and I didn't know that. She didn't know that either. Her first name is Hongmei and her last name is Wang. That's what should have been on the form. The first middle and last was mixed up for her parents also.

So the two character given name is reversed and separated into a first and middle...

Was this how it was done on the I-129F as well ?

And how did the NOA2 show her name?

Did you get a different letter saying it would be sent to the consulate, how was the name on this one?

(I assume they show her name as: Mei Hong Wang or Wang, Mei Hong ?)

At the bottom of the NOA2, you'll see the USCIS customer service number... (800-375-5283)

and here is the number for NVC...

NVC: 1-603-334-0700, have your receipt number ready, from the NOA2...

You'll probably have to take care of it via phone calls at this point... but if the name was truly wrong on the I-129F, then any name checks done at the service center were done on the wrong name.. you might ask USCIS if there is any other followup to the service center you should be making.

I would keep an eye on all documents after that.. in case the consulate sends the P3 with the name wrong, then attempt to fix this [again] when you return the P3 documents to them, along with a note (or maybe a fax at some point to them might be required.. but this is just some comments for later).

Some have had even the visa issued with a middle name (by mistake).. but her given name characters are reversed as well (if I understand correctly.. so you do need to get it fixed).

Does she have a pasport yet?

Did you leave out one character of your given name or did you put your name as chinese do (SURNAME Given Name).

I didn't leave out character of my given name, but it's not in the right order. Say, my name is Wang Hongmei, I signed as Mei Hong Wang in english( cause my so told me the name order should be first name, middle name, then last name. I thought Hong" was my middle name since the charactor is right in the middle.) :D

And I DID leave out one character of both my parrent's name! My father's name is "Wang Shifan", I fill it out as" Wang Fan", I thought "shi" is his middle name and my so told me the middle name is not important. So I just left it out!

Can not believe how dumb I was !

I didn't leave out character of my given name, but it's not in the right order. Say, my name is Wang Hongmei, I signed as Mei Hong Wang in english( cause my so told me the name order should be first name, middle name, then last name. I thought Hong" was my middle name since the charactor is right in the middle.) :D

And I DID leave out one character of both my parrent's name! My father's name is "Wang Shifan", I fill it out as" Wang Fan", I thought "shi" is his middle name and my so told me the middle name is not important. So I just left it out!

Can not believe how dumb I was !

mei shi... don't worry..

Since the physical case is not with USCIS, but they did approve it and send it off (most likely in route to NVC).. I think you should start by calling USCIS number to see if they can tell you where it is and what to do. (numbers for USCIS and NVC given in previous post).

I think that whereever the physical case is, is where you have to start with corrections.. it may be that they say it has to go back to USCIS for new documents to get included (or for another namecheck).. that's why I'd start with phone corrections, since it's not completely clear where the case is right now.

I Personally don't think the parents name mistakes are important.. you'll get another document later asking for parent info and you can correct it there, and attach a note of explanation.

Please keep us updated.. would like to know exactly how they ultimately correct this type of problem. It's not uncommon mistake to separate the given name with a middle name (and then many have made the correction, but your characters were reversed as well).

So the two character given name is reversed and separated into a first and middle...

Yes.

Was this how it was done on the I-129F as well ?

Yes

And how did the NOA2 show her name?

Wang, Mei H.( in fact which should be Wang. Hongmei)

Did you get a different letter saying it would be sent to the consulate, how was the name on this one?

Haven't gotten the letter yet.

(I assume they show her name as: Mei Hong Wang or Wang, Mei Hong ?)

worst than that

Does she have a pasport yet?

no, not yet

Two issues for down the road...

eventually you'll get a passport in your correct name.. so hopefully this all gets corrected so it matches the passport.

Also, on the NOA2 is an "A" number (A## ### ###), placed in the same box as the BENEFICIARY name.. once they fix the name, look to see that future documents during the visa process (even once you do adjustment of status in the US--which is USCIS) do not assign you a different [second] "A" number.. Two "A" numbers can cause someone to make a mistake in the paperwork at some point..

This is indeed quite interesting.

I have never heard it described in this way: that the Chinese have no middle names. My original post I wanted to write was going to say indeed Chinese have middle names. Most Chinese have three character names--some have only two--and thus they have a First, Middle, and Last character. That is Surname, First and Middle names. But I understand what you're trying to convey.

In your example above, "Hong Mei" is written as two seperate characters in Chinese, not one character of Hongmei. But in everyday use, she would be called Hong-Mei and not just Hong, so the distinction of "Mei" being a middle name or not is an interesting one.

I would submit that for the purpose of immigration papers that she seperate her three names as seperate names and NOT bunch them together as Hongmei or Hong-Mei.

First name: Mei

Middle name: Hong

Last name: Wang

This is the most standard way and it will conform more to what her Chinese passport shows.

Her Chinese passport most likely shows "WANG Mei Hong" and NOT "WANG Meihong".

I have never heard it described in this way: that the Chinese have no middle names. My original post I wanted to write was going to say indeed Chinese have middle names. Most Chinese have three character names--some have only two--and thus they have a First, Middle, and Last character. That is Surname, First and Middle names. But I understand what you're trying to convey.

In your example above, "Hong Mei" is written as two seperate characters in Chinese, not one character of Hongmei. But in everyday use, she would be called Hong-Mei and not just Hong, so the distinction of "Mei" being a middle name or not is an interesting one.

I would submit that for the purpose of immigration papers that she seperate her three names as seperate names and NOT bunch them together as Hongmei or Hong-Mei.

This is the most standard way and it will conform more to what her Chinese passport shows.

The chinese usually just state: Given name and Surname... So in their convention, there is no middle name.. .so I think the logical approach that one can also take is to say there is no middle name in english either.. so one could hypenate it, as you show, but I think best to just join them as a single name.

Ultimately, it depends on how your SO asks for the name to be reflected on any paperwork and any passort...

My wife's given name is two characters: Zi Xuan.. but everywhere, including the passport, we put it as: Zixuan .. and that's how it shows EVERWHERE... Even in the US, we show her name always like this...

I would say that most everyone on CFL follow this convention.. and/or usually gives this advice... put N/A as the middle name...

Of course, if one wants to split it up..do as you want. The moral of the story is: Be CONSISTENT.

P.S. Interesting that you came up with the same character reversal error in your example of three names :blink:

Hongmei will undoubtedly have some notarial translations of documents showing her name as Wang Hongmei. This is in fact the correct representation of her Family name followed by the two syllables of her given name. At least this is how all the Chinese people I know (with two-syllable given names) have their names represented in English. A Chinese passport has a place for only "Surname" and "Given Name". My wife's two-syllable given name is represented as one single name.

I wouldn't be alarmed about her error. It is apparently a fairly common one. Some have filled out the papers correctly and had the names incorrectly separated later by either USCIS or GUZ. I expect a fax to GUZ at as soon as they get the paperwork in hand would solve the problem but a call to Dept of State for their take, couldn't hurt.

I wouldn't be alarmed about her error. It is apparently a fairly common one. Some have filled out the papers correctly and had the names incorrectly separated later by either USCIS or GUZ. I expect a fax to GUZ at as soon as they get the paperwork in hand would solve the problem but a call to Dept of State for their take, couldn't hurt.

Yes, that correct for middle name only errors.. but the alarm might be they have ended up the wrong name all together; wrong first name and wrong middle name... A completely different person if you will. In effect, the approval occurred for a different named person. (this is the problem I see); USCONGUZ has stated that errors on the G-325 are not that big a deal, but those on the I-129F could result in problems...

But I would agree not to get over alarmed.. just do what needs to be done...

My wife's given name is two characters: Zi Xuan.. but everywhere, including the passport, we put it as: Zixuan .. and that's how it shows EVERWHERE... Even in the US, we show her name always like this...

I would say that most everyone on CFL follow this convention.. and/or usually gives this advice... put N/A as the middle name...

Of course, if one wants to split it up..do as you want. The moral of the story is: Be CONSISTENT.

P.S. Interesting that you came up with the same character reversal error in your example of three names :blink:

David, do you know/remember what your wife's Chinese passport says? Zi Xuan or Zixuan? I would imagine that it's listed as Zi Xuan.

I definitely agree with the be consistent part. Whatever you use, be consistent.

The Chinese would refer to her as WANG Hong Mei, not Hong Mei WANG. That's why I used WANG Hong Mei in reference to her Chinese passport.