extend passport -- change in procedures?

Bing needs to extend her passport and we just spent a long time pouring over the Chinese consulate website. Apparently after Jan 1 2007 you can't mail them direct to the consulate but you also can no longer extend the passport. You must get a new one. Fee is $55 + $15 to add the married name. The H-2 form is no longer used, you must use the H-1 form

My wife's and stepdaughter's passport expires in May.

I knew it was in 2007 sometime but I failed to follow up on it. Now it is too late. I just can't pick up and travel 300 miles to the embassy in DC for new passports.

It's absurd!

I remember losing our privilege in obtaining a visa to China by mail. That was a costly inconvenience but I understand that was the Chinese retaliation to the US-VISIT program started in 2003.

Now another costly inconvenience, and due to what this time???

Honestly, I don't know why I'm worried about it so much; my wife doesn't seem to care at all!

I just think they shouldn't let their passport expire but it's too late now.

Bing needs to extend her passport and we just spent a long time pouring over the Chinese consulate website. Apparently after Jan 1 2007 you can't mail them direct to the consulate but you also can no longer extend the passport. You must get a new one. Fee is $55 + $15 to add the married name. The H-2 form is no longer used, you must use the H-1 form

My wife's and stepdaughter's passport expires in May.

I knew it was in 2007 sometime but I failed to follow up on it. Now it is too late. I just can't pick up and travel 300 miles to the embassy in DC for new passports.

It's absurd!

I remember losing our privilege in obtaining a visa to China by mail. That was a costly inconvenience but I understand that was the Chinese retaliation to the US-VISIT program started in 2003.

Now another costly inconvenience, and due to what this time???

Honestly, I don't know why I'm worried about it so much; my wife doesn't seem to care at all!

I just think they shouldn't let their passport expire but it's too late now.

There is usually no penalty if the passport is renewed within 6 months of the expiration after that you have a few extra hoops to jump through.