Looks like our interview will be coming up soon, so I'm wondering:

1) what are tax transcripts? I filed my taxes, but didn't seem to get anything back from the IRS. Is there something that I am supposed to get from them? Or do I just provide a photocopy of the returns I filed? As I work in China, I don't have W-2's or anything like that... so just wanted to make sure I've got the proper evidence.

2) My salary is above the poverty line and all, but my dad's agreed to be a cosponsor just in case they ask. So in that case, he would fill out an I-864A and not another I-864, right?

Taxes are not my area of specialty by a long-shot, so your input is appreciated!

1) Here's a thread talking about tax transcripts...

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=21027

but you can just provide a copy of your taxes.

2) If your above the poverty level, your all set.. just fill out the appropriate form... maybe you can do the I-864EZ form. (if you were below the poverty level and needed a joint sponsor, the form they fill out depends on whether you reside at the same residence--I-864A is for same residence sponsors).

Since I don't have a house in America, I guess my dad would technically be in the same residence, although we're not planning on living with him for long. If I want to prepare my Dad as a joint sponsor, just in case, (as I will be leaving my current job in China), should I have him fill out another I-864 or just an I-864A? At the moment, I'm leaning towards just having him do a separate I-864, as our incomes have always been separate...

Since I don't have a house in America, I guess my dad would technically be in the same residence, although we're not planning on living with him for long. If I want to prepare my Dad as a joint sponsor, just in case, (as I will be leaving my current job in China), should I have him fill out another I-864 or just an I-864A? At the moment, I'm leaning towards just having him do a separate I-864, as our incomes have always been separate...

Kevin You state you don't have home in states, do you still claim parent home as residence? This is considered your Domicile, indicate your father's home as your place of residence in the USA. The law requires that sponsors be domiciled (live) in any of the States of the United States, the District of Columbia, or any territory or possession of the United States.

Read: http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/in...nfo_1328.html#4

Great care is needed on your part about how you fill out the forms especially about Domicile.

Good luck!

Yeah, I've been working in China for 4 years, so even though I've passed the poverty line, I'm still going to need a joint sponsor. Obviously, on all forms, my listed residence should be my parents' home. Other than the problem of not owning a house, I do have ties to the US which I can demonstrate (savings, regular visits, taxes filed, driver's license, registered and regular voter, currently seeking work and have correspondence with companies regarding job possibilities, etc.) and will explain in a letter to the VO. So, I'm not particularly worried (although perhaps I should be).

I recently looked back over the I-864, looks like the best solution is for both my dad and I to complete I-864's.