Can I apply SSN now?

Since you are K-1 you can get your SSN any time now. Take a certified copy of your marriage licence, your passport with visa and I-94 inside and an envelope with postmark on it that has been delivered to you in your name. Go to the SSA office and fill out the form. If you are changing your last name to your husbands name now is the time to do it. fill out the form in your married name. Sometimes SSA office workers don't really understand the law and will try to tell you you must have a green card or EAD. They are wrong. Go to this link and print out this page http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/cgi-bin/ssa.cf...php?p_faqid=576 if after showing this to them they still won't give you a SSN then go to a different office and try again.

As far as how long it takes to get a green card it varies a little from where you live. My best guess is about 4 months.

Edited by warpedbored (see edit history)

Since you are K-1 you can get your SSN any time now. Take a certified copy of your marriage licence, your passport with visa and I-94 inside and an envelope with postmark on it that has been delivered to you in your name. Go to the SSA office and fill out the form. If you are changing your last name to your husbands name now is the time to do it. fill out the form in your married name. Sometimes SSA office workers don't really understand the law and will try to tell you you must have a green card or EAD. They are wrong. Go to this link and print out this page http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/cgi-bin/ssa.cf...php?p_faqid=576 if after showing this to them they still won't give you a SSN then go to a different office and try again.

As far as how long it takes to get a green card it varies a little from where you live. My best guess is about 4 months.

How can I change my last name to my husbands name? What i should do ?

And Can We move to anther place now? I mean my husband and I want to buy a house now. But we do not know if we need wait until I get my green card...What time is good for buy a house? After get green card or before?

How can I change my last name to my husbands name? What i should do ?

And Can We move to anther place now? I mean my husband and I want to buy a house now. But we do not know if we need wait until I get my green card...What time is good for buy a house? After get green card or before?

Anytime is good to buy a new house, you do not need to put your life on hold for the green card process.

Now what you will need to do is be prepared to submit a change of address, which might be best done by making an infopass appointment with the USCIS office, which is near the airport and the notification will get to Lee's Summit in about 1 week based on some of the things I have seen with our cases.

When you file the I-485 for AOS you will want to list your husbands name as your last name and many move their family name to become their middle name. If you file for AP and/or EAD you will want to do the same thing.

Take a look at my timeline to get an idea as to when you should expect to receive mailings from the USCIS depending on what you file since we are using the same district office it should be fairly to the same for you.

If you run into difficulties with the SSN try the office at:

SOCIAL SECURITY

2021 INDEPENDENCE AVE

KANSAS CITY, MO 64124

They handle a large number of immigrants and are very familiar with the rules.

It may not be that simple.

We were told by the SSAN office, seemed to be an intelligent person, that a K1 is entitled to a SSAN BUT after they get married they are no longer K1, they are in a change of status situation, and then they are NOT entitled to a SSAN until they get an EAD or a Green Card.

This is what drove us to getting a SSAN in her maiden name.

We were told by the SSAN office, seemed to be an intelligent person, that a K1 is entitled to a SSAN BUT after they get married they are no longer K1, they are in a change of status situation, and then they are NOT entitled to a SSAN until they get an EAD or a Green Card.

It's amazing how many ways the SSA offices can mis-interpret the rules.

All I can say is that we got married and then filed for SSN with her married name. Thre was a little confusion at first, but that's how the card was issued with the "with work authorization only" note. After she got her green card, we had her SSN replaced for an 'unrestricted' one.

Same here. If they won't do it try another office.

after we got married and filed for SS, they came back and said her status was B1 not K1 :ph34r:

this was news to her that she was on a business trip <_<

we still dont have her SS, i guess we wait for her EAD?

We are still in Abu Dhabi but we have received notification that EAD has been sent. Upon return to the US we will attempt to use the EAD, which is in her married name, to change her SS card to her married name ... then I think we'll be able to get a California ID, change her name on bank accounts, and finally apply for a driver's license ... then watch us get a no interview green card in her maiden name ... sigh.

So I can to go SSN office in MO now! later on my green card will be my real name or ?

Let me try one more time. Fill out all of your AOS papers in your married name. This has nothing to do with the SSN other than if you have on they ask for it. You do need an SSN to get a state ID card or have a bank account. When you have your AOS interview and your conditional residency is approved your green card will come in your new name.

We are still in Abu Dhabi but we have received notification that EAD has been sent. Upon return to the US we will attempt to use the EAD, which is in her married name, to change her SS card to her married name ... then I think we'll be able to get a California ID, change her name on bank accounts, and finally apply for a driver's license ... then watch us get a no interview green card in her maiden name ... sigh.

Jim, since you're in CA, I'll direct this question to you. Perhaps you'll have an answer, perhaps not. What if the SO wants to change her first name as well?

Example, let's say her name is Mao Deng and my name is John Smith. Instead of simply changing to Mao Smith, what if she wants to change to Jane Smith? Will that be possible when she marries and changes name in CA? Or does CA only allow the newly married bride a surname change only?

Thanks.

Anyway is welcome to input their knowledge.