I-485 and K1 / K2

Guest ShaQuaNew

Guest ShaQuaNew

Hello to all....

Is there anyone with first-hand experience in filing AOS for a K1 / K2?

Our daughter from China is 15. I completed all the required forms as indicated by:

1. I-485 (One form)

2. G-325a (One for Sarah, One for Lan)

3. Copies of all of our passports (3)

4. Completed I-864 and supporting documents, tax forms, w2, employer letter, etc.

5. Copies of birth certificates and translations

6. Copy of our marriage certificate (certified)

7. Copy of the I-797 approval notice

8. Copies of I-94 (Sarah and Lan; stapled in passport by customs)

I'm hoping, but am unsure without verification that only one copy of the I-485 is needed for both Lan and Sarah. Is this true? Also, If Sarah needs her own copy of the I-485, are two fees of $325.00 required; and two biometric fees ($70.00 each)??

Is there anything else needed that I've not listed.

Thanks in advance....

Jesse, Lan, and Sarah

Sorry to break the news to you, Jesse, but a separate I-485 is required for the K-2 child. That means a separate I-485, separate G-325A, separate fees, separate biometrics, and separate documentation. For Jingwen's kids, we submitted:

1. Two FC-029s (one for the applicant and one for me), stating that all copies were exact photocopies. This form is not required, but we used it anyway.

2. The I-485, along with the required photos (2 at the time).

3. The G-325A, in quadruplicate.

4. A copy of the I-797, NOA, that approved the original I-129F for Jingwen.

5. A copy of the passport main pages, a copy of the K-2 visa, and a copy of the front and back of the I-94.

6. Notarial birth certificate with English translation.

7. A copy of Jingwen's and my marriage certificate.

8. I-864 affidavit of support.

9. Employment verification for me.

10. Copies of earnings for the previous three months for me.

11. Copies of the federal income tax returns for the prior three years.

12. Separate I-485 application fee and separate biometrics fee.

I suspect that some of this stuff was not officially required, and I know that the I-864 requirements have changed.

Guest ShaQuaNew

Sorry to break the news to you, Jesse, but a separate I-485 is required for the K-2 child. That means a separate I-485, separate G-325A, separate fees, separate biometrics, and separate documentation. For Jingwen's kids, we submitted:

1. Two FC-029s (one for the applicant and one for me), stating that all copies were exact photocopies. This form is not required, but we used it anyway.

2. The I-485, along with the required photos (2 at the time).

3. The G-325A, in quadruplicate.

4. A copy of the I-797, NOA, that approved the original I-129F for Jingwen.

5. A copy of the passport main pages, a copy of the K-2 visa, and a copy of the front and back of the I-94.

6. Notarial birth certificate with English translation.

7. A copy of Jingwen's and my marriage certificate.

8. I-864 affidavit of support.

9. Employment verification for me.

10. Copies of earnings for the previous three months for me.

11. Copies of the federal income tax returns for the prior three years.

12. Separate I-485 application fee and separate biometrics fee.

I suspect that some of this stuff was not officially required, and I know that the I-864 requirements have changed.

Thanks for the info Frank. I suspected that was the case. The trouble is with all this stuff is that the instuctional material is just not clear, and often misleading.

Should I mail each i-485 separately, and include copies of the supporting documents, e.g., G325a, i-864, etc., for each; or send them all together with separate checks for each?

Also, Part 1, of the I-485 contains a line:

"Address - C/O"

Normally, I would think this means "In Care Of." However, this does not seem applicable here as she is our daughter and her address is not in care of anyone, as she lives here. Thoughts?

Edited by ShaQuaNew (see edit history)

I would recommend creating separate packages for each application, which is what I did. I mailed all three packages together, but each package had a separate cover letter, and separate checks (a separate application fee check and a separate biometrics check).

For the C/O line, I showed my name. The addresses were all the same. I probably could have left the C/O line blank, but completing it didn't seem to have any impact on the process.

Something EVERYONE should add to the AOS packet G-28 - Notice of Entry of Appearance to allow the USC to make phone calls and discuss the case on behalf of the applicant (SO) without having to have them give verbal permission anytime you want/need to call on the application status.

You need to check Item #4 and I put Applicant's husband in the space.

This needs to be placed on top of all the paperwork when you file.

You will then get 2 copies of every I-797C notice, one addressed to the Applicant and the other addressed to you.

It costs you 5 minutes to do the paper and saves you grief in the case you need to get USCIS on the phone to talk about something.