Australian E3 spouse visa

Hi

Does anyone know anything about Australian E3 visas? I'm an Australian working in USA, but my wife is on a Chinese passport. The nationality of the spouse isn't supposed to matter ... so she's supposed to be able to get an Australian E3 partner visa. Wouldn't you know it? We run into the "name check" business that I've read about here. Unfortunately most of the advice doesn't apply, since we have to do everything through the US consulate in Sydney, and they don't know anything beyond telling us "the case is pending for additional administrative processing."

Timeline: we applied on June 13. We were told she needed additional checking because of a name hit. We've had a congressman and a senator and a former consul and an immigration lawyer we hired ask about our case, and have still got nothing beyond "pending".

Does anyone here know anything? What exactly is happening?

Jono

Welcome to CFL Jono. Not a lot of info here on Australian processes but we do have another member that pops in now and then from Australia. It has been quite interesting to not the differences in the two country's visa process. As one would suspect the USA is much more difficult. Here is a link to his member profile. Perhaps if you send him a PM or email he can help you.

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showuser=990

Hi

Does anyone know anything about Australian E3 visas? I'm an Australian working in USA, but my wife is on a Chinese passport. The nationality of the spouse isn't supposed to matter ... so she's supposed to be able to get an Australian E3 partner visa. Wouldn't you know it? We run into the "name check" business that I've read about here. Unfortunately most of the advice doesn't apply, since we have to do everything through the US consulate in Sydney, and they don't know anything beyond telling us "the case is pending for additional administrative processing."

Timeline: we applied on June 13. We were told she needed additional checking because of a name hit. We've had a congressman and a senator and a former consul and an immigration lawyer we hired ask about our case, and have still got nothing beyond "pending".

Does anyone here know anything? What exactly is happening?

Jono

Edited by warpedbored (see edit history)

Hi Again

Just to clarify, the E3 visa is a United States work visa, reserved for Australians only. It's like an H1B, only different! It's supposed to be easier, and it does in fact cost less to apply for ... but as noted, doesn't do any good at all now I've run into this ridiculous name checking thing. How many Chinese people have the family name Lin!?!? 100 million?

So, that's why it's difficult for me to find threads relevant to me ... an Australian trying to get a Chinese wife into USA on the basis of his work visa ...

Jono

Kudos on getting an E-3. The numerical limitations are low. Fortunately, the E-3 spousal visa is derivative so the limitations won't apply.

The namecheck thing usually hits the non roman alphabet names harder and hits the Chinese the hardest because of all the common surnames and usually no middle name. The best you can do is to keep tabs on the process, not that it'll make things move faster, but it'll keep you from going bonkers while you wait.

False "hits" happen from time to time and most get resolved favorably. It's just a matter of time. Good luck.