Due to end of fiscal year, Work has slowed down and my boss just called a staff meeting and "encouraged" us to take vacation now.

I thought I might take off to China as soon as Thursday.

NW airlines will sell me a ticket to Hong Kong for 60 000 miles but it will take 3 or 4 days to get a china Visa.

Seems like I've read in a thread or two that one can obtain a china Visa in HK.

Anyone done this? If so, where?

Thanks

Hank

Due to end of fiscal year, Work has slowed down and my boss just called a staff meeting and "encouraged" us to take vacation now.

I thought I might take off to China as soon as Thursday.

NW airlines will sell me a ticket to Hong Kong for 60 000 miles but it will take 3 or 4 days to get a china Visa.

Seems like I've read in a thread or two that one can obtain a china Visa in HK.

Anyone done this? If so, where?

Thanks

Hank

Google "China visa in Hong Kong" for starters. Google is your friend.

Yes, I've referred two posters in a row to Google. I'm not trying to be difficult. I didn't know the answer to either question but expected the posters could get the answer quicker by googling than waiting for a member who actually KNEW the answer.

Edited by pushbrk (see edit history)

China changed that policy for Americans about 2 1/2 years ago in retaliation for the US fingerprinting foreigners entering the US. I haven't heard anything about changing it. It would be wise to have the visa in hand before entering China. If you live near a consulate you can have a visa in just a few days. Flychina.com got my visa for me in less than week last time I went.

China changed that policy for Americans about 2 1/2 years ago in retaliation for the US fingerprinting foreigners entering the US. I haven't heard anything about changing it. It would be wise to have the visa in hand before entering China. If you live near a consulate you can have a visa in just a few days. Flychina.com got my visa for me in less than week last time I went.

They also have same day service. And most of the visa services will overnight, if need be.

They also have same day service. And most of the visa services will overnight, if need be.

This is Tuesday. Hank says he's leaving Thursday for Hong Kong. He lives in Knoxville. The soonest he can obtain a China visa in the US, is Thursday. That's cutting it too tight or impossible, depending on the departure time.

Carl says the policy has changed but does not say how or to what effect. Do you mean that a USC cannot obtain a visa for mainland China through normal channels in Hong Kong? If not, then what DO you mean?

Further, it is not only adviseable to have a visa in hand before entering China, it is not possible to do so without one. If you can get a China visa the same day at a Consulate in the USA, you can still get one just as fast in Hong Kong.

This is Tuesday. Hank says he's leaving Thursday for Hong Kong. He lives in Knoxville. The soonest he can obtain a China visa in the US, is Thursday. That's cutting it too tight or impossible, depending on the departure time.

Carl says the policy has changed but does not say how or to what effect. Do you mean that a USC cannot obtain a visa for mainland China through normal channels in Hong Kong? If not, then what DO you mean?

Further, it is not only adviseable to have a visa in hand before entering China, it is not possible to do so without one. If you can get a China visa the same day at a Consulate in the USA, you can still get one just as fast in Hong Kong.

Visas

Visas are required for all foreigners entering mainland China. A standard tourist visa is valid for a 30-day visit. They can usually be obtained from Chinese embassies or consulates in your own country. You can organise your trip to China from Hong Kong through a travel agent. Express visas for mainland China can sometimes be obtained within 24 hours.

That doesn't sound real promising as far as getting a visa in Hong Kong - I think he needs to figure out where the visa is going to come from before he leaves, which may not be Thursday.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

Visas

Visas are required for all foreigners entering mainland China. A standard tourist visa is valid for a 30-day visit. They can usually be obtained from Chinese embassies or consulates in your own country. You can organise your trip to China from Hong Kong through a travel agent. Express visas for mainland China can sometimes be obtained within 24 hours.

That doesn't sound real promising as far as getting a visa in Hong Kong - I think he needs to figure out where the visa is going to come from before he leaves, which may not be Thursday.

Our friend Google will take Hank to a link with a phone number to call for any details he needs. Consulate closures on September 30 are not relevant to travel September 21 but such a departure will result in a Saturday arrival in Hong Kong. Hank will need to pay attention to the details of when the appropriate government office is "open". If not open on the weekend, he may be better off expediting a visa in the US and departing later. Unless, of course, his sweetheart plans to meet him in Hong Kong for a few days.

Visas

Our friend Google will take Hank to a link with a phone number to call for any details he needs. Consulate closures on September 30 are not relevant to travel September 21 but such a departure will result in a Saturday arrival in Hong Kong. Hank will need to pay attention to the details of when the appropriate government office is "open". If not open on the weekend, he may be better off expediting a visa in the US and departing later. Unless, of course, his sweetheart plans to meet him in Hong Kong for a few days.

Mike, KMA

Exactly what I meant is, I would not take the chance that you can get a mainland visa in HK. Unless things have changed in the last 2 1/2 years the PRC no longer issues visas to Americans at the border. It may still be possible to get one through a travel agent in HK but the risk simply isn't worth it. There are visa services where they can get you the visa the same day here in the US. Quickest turn around possible though is 2 days if you don't live near a consulate.

Visas

Actually, a Sept 21 morning departure results in a Friday evening arrival in Hong Kong, but your point is taken, Mike, that I probably won't be able to get a Visa until Monday in HK.

Lao po always meets me in Hong Kong and it would be no problem to stay there a couple of nights if I were sure I'd be able to get the Visa on Monday.

Since the Sept 21 date is not set in concrete, I'm going to send a Visa application this afternoon to my usual Visa Exchange Company by Fedex overnight.

I'll pay for the expedited service and hopefully have the Visa by Thursday afternoon...........in time for a Friday departure.

I can wait the extra day to have the Visa in hand and besides, I'll make it a double entry Visa, and hopefully be able to use it again when I go for her interview.

Thanks, everyone for the advice.

It is very easy to get your visa in Hong Kong. First any travel agent will do it, or you can simply go to the Chinese consulate. Get one the Hong Kong subway and get off the Wan Chai stop. Go to the exhibition center. You will find this on any map in the subway...the exhibition center is a huge building that you can not miss. Once you get off the subway follow the signs to the exhibition center and there will be an over the street walkway that will take you directly there. It is a massive building. In this building there is a place call the immigration center...this is NOT what you want. This is for getting visas and residence for Hong Kong. The Chinese consulate is one block to the east of the exhibition center and is called the "China Resource Center". There are guards in the exhibition center who all speak English. They will be happy to shop you where you need to go.

Once at the China Resource center you will see a sign that says "Chinese Visas this way---->. You will then go through security and take an elevator. The correct floor is clearly marked in the elevator. Once you get off the elevator, fill out the paperwork and take a number. Once your number is called you go up to a window and give them your passport and the application. If you get the same day service you can come back in a few hours to pick it up. They also offer a nest day service and a three day service but I don't think this is what you want.

Hong Kong is probably the fastest, easiest and cheapest way to get a visa. Even though you rush the visa in Hong Kong it is cheaper than getting it at a consulate in the US.

Good Luck!

Visas

Mike, KMA

Exactly what I meant is, I would not take the chance that you can get a mainland visa in HK. Unless things have changed in the last 2 1/2 years the PRC no longer issues visas to Americans at the border. It may still be possible to get one through a travel agent in HK but the risk simply isn't worth it. There are visa services where they can get you the visa the same day here in the US. Quickest turn around possible though is 2 days if you don't live near a consulate.

Carl, GFY

I never suggested Hank try to get a visa at the border. The links he would find by Googling direct him to a government office IN Hong Kong where the necessary visas ARE issued to US Citizens on the same day. There was never any need to take a shot in the dark. The information AND a direct phone number for verification were available. Your answer essentially says "I don't know". Perhaps, if you have no useful information to offer, you'd be better off reading than posting.

Hank's decision to delay his travel one day does seem a prudent one just the same.

Hong Kong is probably the fastest, easiest and cheapest way to get a visa. Even though you rush the visa in Hong Kong it is cheaper than getting it at a consulate in the US.

Good Luck!

I agree with ericeblack that it's pretty easy to get a Chinese Visa in HK and I agree that you can do it pretty quickly (same day service is offered if you go early in the morning), but I don't believe cheapest is correct. China charges differening fees for their Visas depending on the applicant's country of citizenship. So since we're all Americans on this board, it doesn't matter if you get your visa in the USA or UK or HK, you'll be charged the same amount (+/- a little bit for currency conversion differences) no matter where you apply. The ONLY exception to this is that if you're a Chinese who naturalized to be a US citizen, the consulate in HK seems to offer a discount to US citizens born in China. Otherwise it's all the same. This was a while back, so I'm not even sure if they still offer this discount anymore.

I wouldn't want to purposely get my Chinese visa in HK instead of the USA, but if time didn't allow me to get it in the US, then HK is NOT a bad option.