From K1 to K3/CR1

Ok my fiancé has been suggesting to me that we should get married in China. She thinks someone has lost our case and she thinks her background check will never be completed. She has completely lost hope and feels that getting married will solve this black hole somehow.

Yes I have tried to explain to her that even if we cancel the K1 and file a K3, she will more then likely be stuck in the next background check just like now. I hate the idea of throwing away all this time we have waited or will have waited and starting all over again. I also hate to throw away all the information that the VO will see on the computer when they look at our case. Numerous Senator/Congressman inquiries at least show that I care about my relationship enough to jump through these hoops.

I do not want to cancel K1 YET! In January her background check will be one year old. We have talked more about this and have decided that in March during the end of the Spring Festival we will get married. If her background check hasn't been completed by March, then we will cancel the K1 and move forward. That will be 14 months waiting for background and think that's long enough. I could have rowed a boat to China, performed a background check, and rowed back in less time. Someone is not doing their job and I'm PIZZED!

I honestly don't know what to do. I hate this process so bad and I'm going crazy. I have wiped out my entire timeline because I am now paranoid that a vengeful VO may try to sabotage our interview because of what I may say on CFL. I know it's nonsense, but at this point, I trust no one. Sometimes I open my big mouth say exactly how I fell about a VO that denies someone for no apparent reason. It disgusts me. Our entire US Gov disgusts me.

Anyway what I would like to know is what exactly do I need for paperwork to get married in China. I have a certified single Certificate and divorce paper.

Do I only need my most recent divorce paper?

My Single Cert was done in Sept of 2005. Is that expired?

Thanks much!

I know this is beyond "be tough, grin and bear it"... but seeing that your at the P3 - P4 stage, barring a namecheck... your going to get an interview date... I would not make any changes.

One would logically guess the namecheck would repeat itself [in delay] under a CR1/K3 option, but you don't know till you get to that point.

Your best options are to pursue your congressman/senator... some have gotten some relief through this means and some did not get any help.

I would guess that we see about 5 major delayed cases a year... unfortunately, yours is one of them.

----

As for a K3: I would think that the single certificate you have is probably not the same as is needed for getting married in china. It's easier to bring all the necessary documents to china and get the single certificate there.

Anyway what I would like to know is what exactly do I need for paperwork to get married in China. I have a certified single Certificate and divorce paper.

May I suggest?

Visit:

http://www.usembassy-china.org.cn/us-citizen/mrginfo.html

http://www.china-embassy.org/eng/hzqz/fhjh/default.htm

Have any legal documents (divorce papers) notarized by your County Clerk. Have your Secretary of State apply an “Apostille” certificate to same documents. Send those documents to the Chinese Embassy or one of their Consulates – have them apply an “Authentication” seal to your documents (China is not a signatory country for “Apostilles.” However, Hong Kong is signatory, accepting “Apostille” documents.)

You may wish to have at least three (3) originals of any legal documents. You may need them for any new applications you summit.

“The applicant shall apply for the authentication from the Chinese Embassy or Consulate-Generals within 3 months after the Affidavit of Single Status being notarized by the notary public. The Affidavit of Single Status is valid for 6 months after being authenticated by the Chinese Embassy or Consulate-Generals.”

May I suggest?

Visit:

Have any legal documents (divorce papers) notarized by your County Clerk. Have your Secretary of State apply an “Apostille” certificate to same documents. Send those documents to the Chinese Embassy or one of their Consulates – have them apply an “Authentication” seal to your documents (China is not a signatory country for “Apostilles.” However, Hong Kong is signatory, accepting “Apostille” documents.)

You may wish to have at least three (3) originals of any legal documents. You may need them for any new applications you summit.

“The applicant shall apply for the authentication from the Chinese Embassy or Consulate-Generals within 3 months after the Affidavit of Single Status being notarized by the notary public. The Affidavit of Single Status is valid for 6 months after being authenticated by the Chinese Embassy or Consulate-Generals.”

Thx gnat.......good info. Sure hoping I won't need it.

Guest pushbrk

May I suggest?

Visit:

The above will work but as David said, the easy way is to take your divorce decrees to a US Consulate in China and have them issue a "Certificate of Marriageability".

May I suggest?

Visit:

One thing to note, while we like to do things in multiple copies the Chinese consulate will usually only issue one and only one document for your single certificate. Make photo copies of this to be sure.

Besides the Chinese are much easier in this process, you don't mail it to anyone, because you carry it in to the marriage office yourself, they collect it and you walk away with the marriage certificate which makes the single certificate invalid anyway.

Then you only need to get it translated at the Notary Office and multiple copies are a real good idea on that one.

Like David said, it's getting close so hang tough. Go ahead and get your congressman's office to request a status update on the status of your case, it can't hurt and maybe it will shake things loose.

May I suggest?

Visit:

One thing to note, while we like to do things in multiple copies the Chinese consulate will usually only issue one and only one document for your single certificate. Make photo copies of this to be sure.

Besides the Chinese are much easier in this process, you don't mail it to anyone, because you carry it in to the marriage office yourself, they collect it and you walk away with the marriage certificate which makes the single certificate invalid anyway.

Then you only need to get it translated at the Notary Office and multiple copies are a real good idea on that one.

Like David said, it's getting close so hang tough. Go ahead and get your congressman's office to request a status update on the status of your case, it can't hurt and maybe it will shake things loose.

I have tried 2 senators, 1 congressman, 1 governor, 1 president. DOS tells me it's a waste of time for these officials to make an inquiry into our case. They are told the exact same thing that i'm told when I call and there is nothing that any Senator can do to speed up a background check. The WhiteHouse even forwarded my letter to the head liason of the DOS. He personally wrote me a letter and explained that the DOS understands the frustration and hardship loved ones go through while waiting for this long process to be completed. But he stressed that the security of our Country is of great concern and that everyone must wait for background checks to be completed. No exceptions.

I understand this fully. But no one on gods green earth can convince me that a background check should take this long and I don't believe for one second that someone or some department is working on this case with any kind of sincerity.

As for the single certificate. Thx Mike, thx Lee. I will get several copies of my most "Recent ?" divorce notorized and bring this to china and get the single cert in nanning.

Guest pushbrk

As for the single certificate. Thx Mike, thx Lee. I will get several copies of my most "Recent ?" divorce notorized and bring this to china and get the single cert in nanning.

You do not get your divorce "notarized". You get "one" certified copy of your divorce decree(s). Usually this is a single page. You'll need this for all divorces, not just the most recent. Then you follow one of three methods. Two have been mentioned. If it is convenient to stop by a US Consulate in China for an hour or so, this is the easy way. If not the third way, is to do this through an agent like www.visarite.com in New Jersey. With all but the US Consulate method you may still need notarial transations as required by the local Chinese Marriage office. The Certificate issued at the US Consulate is issued in English and Chinese, so no further translation is needed.

You do not get your divorce "notarized". You get "one" certified copy of your divorce decree(s). Usually this is a single page. You'll need this for all divorces, not just the most recent. Then you follow one of three methods. Two have been mentioned. If it is convenient to stop by a US Consulate in China for an hour or so, this is the easy way. If not the third way, is to do this through an agent like www.visarite.com in New Jersey. With all but the US Consulate method you may still need notarial transations as required by the local Chinese Marriage office. The Certificate issued at the US Consulate is issued in English and Chinese, so no further translation is needed.

Ok i'm getting it now. Thx for the clarification.