bringing a child to the US

Hi,

My name is Willie from Chelan WA and new to the group. My wife's name is Hongxia and is from Nanning. She has been here in the US for 5 years. We now have two children ages 1 and 3. Life is very good !!!

We want to bring my wifes daughter, age 8, to the US. So far I know we need to file a form I-130. Do we need anything else and does anyone have recent experiance of how long this might take ? We may be dreaming but hope to bring her home from our visit to China this coming March.

Thanks Willie

Guest pushbrk
Hi,

My name is Willie from Chelan WA and new to the group. My wife's name is Hongxia and is from Nanning. She has been here in the US for 5 years. We now have two children ages 1 and 3. Life is very good !!!

We want to bring my wifes daughter, age 8, to the US. So far I know we need to file a form I-130. Do we need anything else and does anyone have recent experiance of how long this might take ? We may be dreaming but hope to bring her home from our visit to China this coming March.

Thanks Willie

240644[/snapback]

The CR1/IR1 (The child would be IR2?) visa process is now running an average of about 14 months. You might shave some from that because an 8 year old doesn't need any security checks. We've seen a couple go just under a year. Since your wife can do all the signing and form filling the child's behalf you'll shave time while the case is at NVC too. If I were you, I'd be thinking more like August 2007 as soonest.

Welcome to CFL Willie,

The I-130 is the direction you need to go for your daughter. YOU the US Citizen need to file the petition for your child, a LPR must await a visa number. The relationship was created when you were married before she reached the age of 18.

How Do I Bring My Child, Son or Daughter to Live in the United States?

I don't have any experience in the time requirements, but her age plays in your favor considerably. There will be no Biometrics and the name check (if one exists for an 8 year old) should only be a formality. This will help to speed things along.

You will need to have your wife sign for your daughter on all immigration forms. She will write <child name> By <Mom's signature>. You also need to get your paperwork together so that once it arrives at NVC you are prepared.

I don't know if there is any consideration given at the service centers when processing a young child or not. Their processing times are not wonderful, CSC is currently showing 6 months for an I-130. I wouldn't hold out too much hope for March based on the processing times. :( But who knows you may get fast tracked for a young child who's mother is already in the US.

Your wife will more than likely need to attend the interview with her in GZ, and the medical can be completed in one day without extra fee as I understand. This is because they do not do an X-ray or blood test. So the exam is a simple physical.

Now when it arrives in GZ, it is possible you can get moved ahead a bit in the processing since there is no security issue involved. You will probably want to send GZ a letter once the case moves that direction asking them for as much advance notice so that you and you wife can come to China to take your daughter to the interview and don't forget to mention her age.

We had a K-2 follow-to-join case that was assigned an interview 3 months after they received the paperwork. But the case have enough differences that it's not really a good comparison.

Good luck, I hope everything moves fast for you.

Lee is right of course. Unless your wife has become a US citizen, it will likely be faster for you as the step parent/US citizen to file the I-130. If your wife has been naturalized, she can file the petition, and I would expect it to move as quickly as your having filed, maybe a little faster since the documentation that she as a mother must supply is not as extensive as yours if you file as the step father.

Bottom line is you're correct. The I-130 is the right petition to file. Processing will vary, but you're fortunate in that, as a child of that age, your step daughter will bypass some of the checks reserved for older children and adults. I have no feel for the timing, but my gut says March may be a little optimistic but still within the realm of possibility.