1. The I-134 is signed by the sponsor under penalty of perjury, then notarized. On page 1, section 7, it states that if self-employed "I have attached a copy of my last tax return ... which I certify to be true and correct ..." Question: What are members' experience with a request by GUZ to provide a second (separate) declaration and notarization of the tax return(s)? In other words, should I do a separate notarized declaration for the three years (yes, I'm being conservative) tax returns, even though a seperate notarized declaration is clearly redundant?

2. If the DS156 and DS157 are completed in English, must the Chinese versions also be completed? I understand the Chinese version is slightly different (asking for SO's name in Chinese Telegraphic Code, for example).

3. "Notarized unmarried certificate." Is this different than the notarized divorce decree? If so, what are folks doing to obtain a notarized unmarried certificate? This is the first I recall having heard of the notarized unmarried certificate. When I sent her off to her home town, I asked her to get notarized birth, police and divorce certificates (all translated into English). Does she have to return to her home town to obtain this document?

4. We completed and signed Part I of the DS-230 for the P3 package, in accordance with the instructions. Do we ever complete Part II? Does she ever sign Part II? I can't find reference to the DS-230 in the P4.

Thanks all!

Edited by coulter (see edit history)

1. The notarization of the I-134 (signed in front of the notary under 'penalty of perjury') carries over as covering the supporting documents; therefore, the taxes do not need to be notarized. (it's interesting to see that the more legally enforceable I-864 just changed to not requiring notarization, but it was stated in the federal register. that the signing under 'penalty of perjury' covers the supporting docs as well !)

2. Yes, you must fill out both. I asked GUZSpeak to confirm this some time back and they said YES... do both. Yes, the Telegraphic code is asked for on DS-156, Q.6 & Q.7 in the chinese version. (also GIV-24 Q.1 for the same P4 documents).

3. The "unmarried certificate" is different from a divorce decree; here is the consulate comments:

"Notarial marital status certificate. If divorced before, previous divorce certificates for each marriage are required. If any child from previous marriage will also apply for visa, a divorce decree showing the child's custody is needed."

The marital status certificate should state that her 'status' is single and free to marry. The necessary office should understand how to do this and the appropriate wording... Yes, you definitely need this.

4. K#'s only does the DS-230 part I. (CR1s get DS-230 part II in P4)