My wife is preparing to go for her medical exam in Shanghai. I've been reading up on the info in the FAQ section concerning what needs to be brought to the exam, but this is still a bit confusing.

According to the P4 letter, "please bring all the documents listed on the Letter to K Applicants with you to the designated clinic." I have everything ready except for the last four bullet points, namely:

- Evidence of support (I-134)

- Proof of relationship (photos, e-mails, etc.)

- NIV application fee receipt

- Proof of petitioner's residency in the United States

These last four points are works in progress for me, as I collect the evidence, and I haven't gotten around to going to the appropriate bank in Shanghai to pay the visa fee. Is it ok to go ahead with the med. exam anyway without these things? What's the deal with the mystical sealed envelope?

In the P4 FAQ, it says what to bring to the medical:

K1, K3:

1) Four (4) passport pictures (print name on back)

2) Beneficiary Passport

3) P4 Appointment letter (make copies; give them a copy if they will accept it)

4) P3 collected docs from OF-167 (divorce, police, marriage, police certificates, etc -- make copies)

5) P4 (K1 list) (make copies)

a. DS-156 in duplicate: 2 in English ; 2 in Chinese ; (sign); attached (2) passport photos of beneficiary to each (total of 4 pics)

b. DS-156K in duplicate: 2 in English ; 2 in Chinese ; (do not sign ; beneficiary will sign at consulate)

c. DS-157 in duplicate: 2 in English ; 2 in Chinese ; (no signature needed; no signature block)

d. GNI-2 , Supplemental Form (do not sign ; beneficiary will sign at consulate)

e. GIV-24 , Family Composition Sheet (sign)

f. Medical docs from P4 (Instructions and worksheet)

g. Certification of legal capacity and intent to marry (K1: do not sign; beneficiary will sign at consulate)

6) DS-230, Part II (CR1 only)

7) If any shot records on hand, bring (CR1/CR2)

8) Have blank forms for P4 docs (in case something is wrong)

Please note the last item is to bring blanks... This was my own own addition to the GUZ list and has been there for almost a year...

You do not bring any relationship proof NOR any financials...

You can pay the visa fee after the medical and before the pickup.. Although some Shanghai experiences have related that the receipt was not requested.. check with the medical staff...

They will give you a sealed envelope to bring to the consulate. It's sealed, ergo, don't open it...

In the P4 FAQ, it says what to bring to the medical:

K1, K3:

1) Four (4) passport pictures (print name on back)

2) Beneficiary Passport

3) P4 Appointment letter (make copies; give them a copy if they will accept it)

4) P3 collected docs from OF-167 (divorce, police, marriage, police certificates, etc -- make copies)

5) P4 (K1 list) (make copies)

a. DS-156 in duplicate: 2 in English ; 2 in Chinese ;  (sign); attached (2) passport photos of beneficiary to each (total of 4 pics)

b. DS-156K in duplicate: 2 in English ; 2 in Chinese ; (do not sign ; beneficiary will sign at consulate)

c. DS-157 in duplicate: 2 in English ; 2 in Chinese ; (no signature needed; no signature block)

d. GNI-2 , Supplemental Form (do not sign ; beneficiary will sign at consulate)

e. GIV-24 , Family Composition Sheet (sign)

f. Medical docs from P4 (Instructions and worksheet)

g. Certification of legal capacity and intent to marry (K1: do not sign; beneficiary will sign at consulate)

6) DS-230, Part II (CR1 only)

7) If any shot records on hand, bring (CR1/CR2)

8) Have blank forms for P4 docs (in case something is wrong)

Please note the last item is to bring blanks... This was my own own addition to the GUZ list and has been there for almost a year...

You do not bring any relationship proof NOR any financials...

You can pay the visa fee after the medical and before the pickup..  Although some Shanghai experiences have related that the receipt was not requested.. check with the medical staff...

They will give you a sealed envelope to bring to the consulate.  It's sealed, ergo, don't open it...

232044[/snapback]

David,

Thanks a lot. I found that this list in your FAQ, but then got just a bit confused while reading over some of the member's posts describing experiences in Beijing and Shanghai. This helps alot, thanks again!

-Fred

I found that this list in your FAQ, but then got just a bit confused while reading over some of the member's posts describing experiences in Beijing and Shanghai.

232058[/snapback]

your feedback is noted and a few relate the same 'confusion'... I do need to streamline the FAQs; There's lots of great experiences shared, but it is too much in certain sections. Good luck !