A lot of us, myself included, are here to gather historical data on the progress of other couples through this process so we can interpolate that data and make predictions about what our own progress might be. While learning from history is an admirable goal, I believe we are looking at the wrong historical event as the basis for our post-IMBRA predictions.

Instead of looking at the milestones in Joe and Yasmine's journey, let's instead look at DHS and the way they handled Katrina. I think the similarity is a fair one, the same agency (DHS) was in charge and responsible in both cases, and it was (or should have been) painfully obvious that the likelihood of "inconveniencing" many citizens had a very high probability.

Both events had the benefit of what should have been adequate advance warning. Katrina was tracked and plotted days in advance and this IMBRA law has been on the books for over five months-----over five months. In both cases, the calm demeanor of the DHS folks seemed to inspire confidence and a feeling that all was under control. Only later did we learn that their calm demeanor was only an indication that they did not have the faintest idea what was going on or what needed to do about it.

Then, as the disaster struck, all we could hear over the noise and confusion was the screeching cry of the Responsibility Bird, "His fault, her fault, their fault---not my fault." And that bird screeching still continues. It was the Governor's fault, the Mayor's fault, nobody told me, etc. Even when we see them accept responsibility, they really don't, making statements like, "I accept full responsibility, but I didn't do anything wrong."

Now we can see DHS doing the same thing again and this time they seem to be saying it was OMB's fault. Let's look at part of this process that they have let us see. The draft version of the new I-129F is not really a draft. The word 'Draft' printed across it only means it is not yet approved. There is no doubt in my mind that this is what was submitted to OMB for approval and which OMB has not yet approved. This form is an atrociously poor piece of work and it should not have been approved the way we saw it on the Internet. I wouldn't have put my name on any approval sheet for this miserable effort. And if you want an example of what I am talking about, look closely at Section C, paragraph 2. And remember, believing that people can figure out what you mean, even it you don't really say it, is not one of the criteria for approval.

And one more thing about this: If one of the high muckety-mucks at DHS or USCIS had gotten hold of their counterpart at OMB and said we must work together NOW to avoid a train wreck I see coming, the forms would have been approved by OMB a long time ago. In the DHS response to the IMBRA requirements, just as with Katrina, I see no indication of leadership or management. Who I see are are only administrators, they draft forms, submit things for approval and try to dodge bullets, but where are the people who are more interested in completing the task rather than doing the paperwork? I haven't seen them, have you?

As the post-Katrina pressure mounted on DHS/FEMA, they determined that the purchase of travel trailers for temporary housing would help resolve one to the problems (and take off some of the heat?). So they got the trailers but really didn't have a plan for what to do with them. Today, many of these trailers still sit in storage areas, unused, while many of the Katrina victims are still without a place to live. In our case, they are going to send out all the RFEs and my guess is that they have planned no further than that. I believe they will be as puzzled about what to do with the RFE replies as they still are about what to do with the trailers.

I know that from reading this, no one would believe that I am not a cynic, a skeptic, nor a pessimist. But I'm not! I am an optimist my nature, I look for good rather than bad, and want to see my government do things well. But I see little to hope for that here! When they refer to the results of this great screw-up on their part as an "inconvenience" in people's lives, there is no better proof to me that they don't even understand what they have done (and are doing) to so many, many people.

I am very sorry to say this, but I see nothing but confusion and anguish ahead for people caught up in this process. I believe, based on DHS’s record of past performance, that things will only get worse. And, outside of my SO’s visa, nothing will make me happier than to be proven wrong.

Since I have the soapbox…

As all the functions and agencies downstream from USCIS see the stream of new petitions cut off, it is reasonable to expect a slow down in the whole process. Look for overtime schedules to be cut or eliminated and for everything to just take longer for those of us in the system.

Maybe the people who call separation from their spouses or fiancé/fiancée an “inconvenience” are only to be pitied. They may never have found the love that we have and do not understand what love is all about. For them, it may only mean doing their own laundry, an inconvenience.

A momentary thought that maybe it would speed things up if they were separated from their wives until they straighten out this mess, brought the realization that it might instead drag things out even longer.

A problem cannot be fixed until the real problem is identified. I do not believe this one has been. IMBRA is only A problem, it is DHS that is THE problem.

The first real sign of hope will be a shakeup of the whole DHS structure and staff, starting at the top and working it’s way down through the various departments, functions, nooks and crannies

I will not refer to DHS as inept, but they don’t seem very ept, either.

And I really will be happy if I am proven to be wrong

Guest ShaQuaNew

This is why it's never a good idea to get US government involved in the personal lives of it's citizens!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unless of course you're working in a red-tape factory....

"Maybe the people who call separation from their spouses or fianc?fiancée an “inconvenience?are only to be pitied.  They may never have found the love that we have and do not understand what love is all about.  For them, it may only mean doing their own laundry, an inconvenience."

224149[/snapback]

I do not apologize, T, for being offended by this comment. You had me in your hip pocket until you made this judgement.

Optimist, pessimist....how about realist? I walked into this process with eyes wide open. I knew the potential pitfalls, delays, etc, and made a decision that no matter what, I was in this for the long haul.

FYI, I have been doing my own laundry since 1972 when my mother died. My ex hates housework. I do not classify the F.U.'s as an "inconvenience", to use your buzzword. It is yet another delay.

Somewhere along the way, we suffered a one month "delay". We WERE neck and neck with Jesse. I have no idea why, and cannot dicipher the reason. With a fast start, we suddenly lagged behind couples that applied after we did. Our P3 was one month later that most, per the timelines. Inconvenience? No. Yet another blip, burp, f***up....Yeah!

Just because you handle your feelings differently than others is no reason to put us down. And PLEASE, skip the pie-in-the-sky pity-party. I am good with where I am....deeply in love with a woman and her daughter, and I also do my own laundry. I'll probably continue, as I don't want my clothes washed by hand in a sink.

Your comments on the "issue", however, are most appreciated.

Mike

"Maybe the people who call separation from their spouses or fianc?fiancée an “inconvenience?are only to be pitied.  They may never have found the love that we have and do not understand what love is all about.  For them, it may only mean doing their own laundry, an inconvenience."

224149[/snapback]

I do not apologize, T, for being offended by this comment. You had me in your hip pocket until you made this judgement.

Optimist, pessimist....how about realist? I walked into this process with eyes wide open. I knew the potential pitfalls, delays, etc, and made a decision that no matter what, I was in this for the long haul.

FYI, I have been doing my own laundry since 1972 when my mother died. My ex hates housework. I do not classify the F.U.'s as an "inconvenience", to use your buzzword. It is yet another delay.

Somewhere along the way, we suffered a one month "delay". We WERE neck and neck with Jesse. I have no idea why, and cannot dicipher the reason. With a fast start, we suddenly lagged behind couples that applied after we did. Our P3 was one month later that most, per the timelines. Inconvenience? No. Yet another blip, burp, f***up....Yeah!

Just because you handle your feelings differently than others is no reason to put us down. And PLEASE, skip the pie-in-the-sky pity-party. I am good with where I am....deeply in love with a woman and her daughter, and I also do my own laundry. I'll probably continue, as I don't want my clothes washed by hand in a sink.

Mike

224302[/snapback]

Mike,

The term "inconvenience" came not from me, but from the statement from Homeland Security as quoted in Yahoo news:

Homeland Security acknowledges the bureaucratic delay is "certainly an inconvenience," said Chris Bentley, spokesman for the department's Citizen and Immigration Services.

I was trying to say that it is those DHS folks that think being separated from their love ones is merely an inconvenience may have never learned what total love can be, as we have. My pity was for them, not for any of us.

I am sorry you felt like I was putting anyone (besides DHS) down, that was certainly not my intent--we share the same boat, I'm part of this group, too.

Greg

"Maybe the people who call separation from their spouses or fianc?fiancée an “inconvenience?are only to be pitied.?They may never have found the love that we have and do not understand what love is all about.?For them, it may only mean doing their own laundry, an inconvenience."

224149[/snapback]

Mike

224302[/snapback]

Mike,

The term "inconvenience" came not from me, but from the statement from Homeland Security as quoted in Yahoo news:

Homeland Security acknowledges the bureaucratic delay is "certainly an inconvenience," said Chris Bentley, spokesman for the department's Citizen and Immigration Services.

I was trying to say that it is those DHS folks that think being separated from their love ones is merely an inconvenience may have never learned what total love can be, as we have. My pity was for them, not for any of us.

I am sorry you felt like I was putting anyone (besides DHS) down, that was certainly not my intent--we share the same boat, I'm part of this group, too.

Greg

224329[/snapback]

Sorry for going off on you like that, Greg. I have read such comments, clearly stated or implied, before. It was a bad night, and it just hit me the wrong way. I am now clear on your meaning. I should have known.

I apologize.

Mike

This is why it's never a good idea to get US government involved in the personal lives of it's citizens!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unless of course you're working in a red-tape factory....

224152[/snapback]

How else could immigration occur? I can't see how the government wouldn't be involved, unless you propose anarchy?

224149[/snapback]

Mike

224302[/snapback]

I think all of us on CFL knew what we were getting into when we or fate chose our SO's. The naiive and dumb just aren't part of this website :D

Edited by mercator (see edit history)