SO has sent me the certified copies of birth certificates, police reports, etc. How long are these valid? Do I now have a clock ticking for me to gather my information and complete my forms? I had heard they are only good for 30 days after I receive them, but I did not see anything on the USCIS web concerning this.

The reason I ask is that I am now considering hiring an immigration attorney, but I do not want her certification to become invalid because I delayed things by hiring an attorney.

Thanks in advance.

Take a look at http://guangzhou.usconsulate.gov/kvfaq.html

"What's the period of validity for medical reports and notarial certificates?

Notarial birth certificates, marriage certificates and divorce certificates have unlimited validity. Medical reports, notarial single certificates and police certificates are good for one year from the date of issuance."

Many people like to have updated police certificates, etc. (less than 6 months) just to be safe.

Guest pushbrk
SO has sent me the certified copies of birth certificates, police reports, etc.  How long are these valid?  Do I now have a clock ticking for me to gather my information and complete my forms?  I had heard they are only good for 30 days after I receive them, but I did not see anything on the USCIS web concerning this.

The reason I ask is that I am now considering hiring an immigration attorney, but I do not want her certification to become invalid because I delayed things by hiring an attorney.

Thanks in advance.

223147[/snapback]

Birth certificates and divorce certificates do not expire. Police certificates are good for a year but are not required until the day of the interview. Certificate of not married also expires in a year and is most wisely obtained later in the process. It is also only presented at interview.

Many of us saved enough money by not hiring an attorney to pay for an extra visit to our SO's. It's up to you.

SO has sent me the certified copies of birth certificates, police reports, etc.? How long are these valid?? Do I now have a clock ticking for me to gather my information and complete my forms?? I had heard they are only good for 30 days after I receive them, but I did not see anything on the USCIS web concerning this.

Thanks in advance.

223147[/snapback]

Birth certificates and divorce certificates do not expire. Police certificates are good for a year but are not required until the day of the interview. Certificate of not married also expires in a year and is most wisely obtained later in the process. It is also only presented at interview.

Many of us saved enough money by not hiring an attorney to pay for an extra visit to our SO's. It's up to you.

223151[/snapback]

I think that unless you encounter or expect some very serious issues, the attorney can do no better than you can.

I considered using one in the beginning, but was then was introduced to this website by Paul, the "Wheelman". My SO and I are now awaiting the issuance of our P4. Along the way, I have just made sure that all or our paperwork was in order.

Good luck.

Mike

two points I want to make sure are clear:

1) You, as the USC do not need the certificates, the beneficiary should have them... normally, most retrieve them closer to P4 timeframe (as Frank's posts suggest)

2) The SO must bring them to the medical exam and they will get put in the sealed medical envelope... Then they are delivered to the interview like that.. don't want you to get the idea that she will wait until the interview to present them...

Guest pushbrk
two points I want to make sure are clear:

1) You, as the USC do not need the certificates, the beneficiary should have them... normally, most retrieve them closer to P4 timeframe (as Frank's posts suggest)

2) The SO must bring them to the medical exam and they will get put in the sealed medical envelope...  Then they are delivered to the interview like that.. don't want you to get the idea that she will wait until the interview to present them...

223257[/snapback]

Thanks for the clarification, David. I was thinking more of the interview timeframe than tha actual interview.

My wife requested the police report/certificate two weeks after mailing the P3 back. She will take it with her to Guangzhou. I had'nt thought the details through past that.

SO has sent me the certified copies of birth certificates, police reports, etc.? How long are these valid?? Do I now have a clock ticking for me to gather my information and complete my forms?? I had heard they are only good for 30 days after I receive them, but I did not see anything on the USCIS web concerning this.

Thanks in advance.

223147[/snapback]

223151[/snapback]

I think that unless you encounter or expect some very serious issues, the attorney can do no better than you can.

I considered using one in the beginning, but was then was introduced to this website by Paul, the "Wheelman". My SO and I are now awaiting the issuance of our P4. Along the way, I have just made sure that all or our paperwork was in order.

Good luck.

Mike

223154[/snapback]

PLEASE, DO NOT BELEIVE EVERYTHING THAT YOU READ HERE, DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH........

Edited by hakkamike (see edit history)