Yet another point of confusion

My SO was looking at her P4 packet, and it said she needs to bring all sorts of stuff to the medical check. The list included "proof of relationship", like pictures, emails, call records.

The implication (or perhaps explicitly stated) was that it would go in the envelope with the medical records, sealed, and only to be opened by the Visa Officer.

But my impression from reading everyone's accounts is that the pictures, emails, cards/letters, phone records, etc, are NOT part of the medical packet, that it was things everyone hand carried on their own into the interview.

I'm going to search through all the info again to find something definitive, but since I can't be sure how long that's going to take, can anyone who has been through the K-1 interview clear this up for me?

Things may have changed since Jingwen went through the process, but she only brought the "official" documents to the medical - those listed in the OF-171. Relationship materials, etc. were brought by her to the interview and were not included in the package assembled by the medical facility. This seems to comport with the consulate's website: http://guangzhou.usconsulate.gov/medicalexam.html

"...At the time of your medical exam, please bring all the documents listed on Form OF-171, Appointment Letter for Immigrant Visa Applicants (K3/K4 applicants please refer to "Letter to K3/K4 Applicants"; V applicants please refer to "Letter to V Applicants"), with you to the designated clinic or hospital. The staff there will help to put these materials in order, and then return them to you in a sealed envelope which is to be opened only by the Consulate staff at the time of interview. Your signature will be required to indicate your participation in the process."

Items required for the Medical exam results envelope:

1. Notarized Docutments - Birth, divorce, single certificate, police report.

2. All Appropriate DS forms, DS-156, DS-156k, DS-157

Evidence of relationship is hand carried to the interview along with the sealed envelope and chest x-ray.

It's not possible for them them to have an envelope large enough for evidence, say to fit a kitchen sink or large suitcase. :o

That confirms my other research. Thanks.

That confirms my other research.  Thanks.

219439[/snapback]

Just in case you are not aware, the medical facility will probably remove the appropriate pages from the Notary documents so they will fit in the envelope. Just make sure you have others available when you come to the US.

Just in case you are not aware, the medical facility will probably remove the appropriate pages from the Notary documents so they will fit in the envelope. Just make sure you have others available when you come to the US.

219447[/snapback]

Yep, they absolutely destroyed our original notary books. They wouldn't even listen to me telling them that it was acceptable to submit copies, which we had, and then show the VO the original if demanded. :roller:

We wound up getting new originals after the interview so we'd have them for the US.

Edited by jim_julian (see edit history)
Guest pushbrk

219447[/snapback]

Yep, they absolutely destroyed our original notary books. They wouldn't even listen to me telling them that it was acceptable to submit copies, which we had, and then show the VO the original if demanded. :roller:

We wound up getting new originals after the interview so we'd have them for the US.

219545[/snapback]

Just which notary books got destroyed, Jim. Might as well make sure we have extras before hand.

My SO interview is on May 31, in regards to the medical only the medical forms and DS 156, DS 157 , divorce, birth, proof of custody , single certificate was asked for . The personal relatiohship proof will be provided at the consulate for the interview if needed. My SO had 3 copies of the notaries

The ones we replaced were the "birth certificate" and the divorce.  The never remarried is not needed in the US as far as we can determine.

219548[/snapback]

Ditto on the Birth Cert, they ripped out the pages the consulate needed and discarded the rest.

Since birth certs would be difficult to replace when she is in the US, I had her get 5 copies. I figured she will probably need them again at some point in the future, so might as well just do it while we had the chance.

As they say, "better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it"

219447[/snapback]

Yep, they absolutely destroyed our original notary books. They wouldn't even listen to me telling them that it was acceptable to submit copies, which we had, and then show the VO the original if demanded. :icecream:

219545[/snapback]

Great tip, thank you guys. :)