Can My Wife Work --- For No Pay?

My wife is going stir-crazy sitting around the house all day. I know she cannot legally work until there is official approval to do so - and who know how long that's going to take. But what about working as a helper in a company that needs someone to, let's say, insert tab A into slot B, or some other duties? The company where I work is always pulling some of us off our normal duties to help in other departments when it gets busy. It would be like a volunteer, right? No SS# needed? No DHS approval?

If anyone has any info on this, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks-

Fred

Employment is working for compensation. Volunteer is not employment. However it is unlikely that your company would be allowed to have a volunteer in the office either by labor laws in your state or your company's liability insurance.

Although it is too late for her to use this info perhaps it could be of use to others. During the first 90 days the K-1 is authorized to work. Few companies actually track expiration dates and some may be willing to ignore the small risk of facing fines for not getting a timely update. It is common for companies to only review expiration dates once a year. Very few have HR software that would signal an expiration date. Once the PR or EAD is issued the person can update the record. If the EAD was applied for, this usually leaves only a gap of 4-5 months. Not a major issue for most employers since it is expected the adjustment is coming. Also it is less risk and expense than facing a wrongful termination suite which might be accepted by the courts since DHS's paper work completion dates are beyond the employees control and they filed in a timely manner.

Volunteer work for a charity or some other ogranization that normally accepts volunteer help is a definate option, it would be difficult for a for profit business to allow someone to come into their workplace and perform volunteer work.

(something else)

Now a for profit business might be able to do something along the lines of a non-paid internship to allow someone to do a study of American business practices in comparision to China and that might involve some hands on things so she could fully understand the process. :rolleyes:

Edited by LeeFisher3 (see edit history)