Dear all,

My wife just received her P3 package for her K3 visa and we are now preparing to send it back to GZ. I have a question about an error that seems to have been made in my wife's name. My wife's name as 3 characters total, 1 for last name 2 for first name. On her passport her first name appears as one word in pinyin (no space), but on the P3 letter the consulate wrote her first name as two words with a space.

I'm wondering if anyone has run into this issue before and what I should do if anything. The funny thing is that the NVC mailings sent to me all write her name as one word. I certainly want to avoid additional name checks when this is such a simple issue.

1. Do I send the P3 back with her name as the Consulate has it written (two words) in order to avoid confusion?

2. Write it as it appears on her passport, in order to avoid confusion at the interview or POE? (I would be tempted to do this except the P3 letter says that the name must be written as it appears on this letter).

Thanks!

Dear all,

My wife just received her P3 package for her K3 visa and we are now preparing to send it back to GZ. I have a question about an error that seems to have been made in my wife's name. My wife's name as 3 characters total, 1 for last name 2 for first name. On her passport her first name appears as one word in pinyin (no space), but on the P3 letter the consulate wrote her first name as two words with a space.

I'm wondering if anyone has run into this issue before and what I should do if anything.  The funny thing is that the NVC mailings sent to me all write her name as one word. I certainly want to avoid additional name checks when this is such a simple issue.

1. Do I send the P3 back with her name as the Consulate has it written (two words) in order to avoid confusion?

2. Write it as it appears on her passport, in order to avoid confusion at the interview or POE? (I would be tempted to do this except the P3 letter says that the name must be written as it appears on this letter).

Thanks!

214560[/snapback]

We had the same thing happen and we did nothing about it. Now for the interview you complete the DS-156 and put her name Exactly as is on the passport.

Now when we got to the US we had a rocket scientist working at DMV that used the name on the visa as her legal name instead of the name in her passport. When we got her name changed we were able to show a number of documents where there was no space, such as her SSN card, marriage license and library card.

The DMV continues to insist that her legal name is not the name listed in her Chinese passport. :P

Also, this did not cause any issues with getting AP, EAD. We will find out concerning AOS on Tuesday, but the indications are that everything is just fine since they have sent us a number of letters without the space.

Edited by LeeFisher3 (see edit history)

Perhaps this is a common problem for people? Is it standard for the Chinese passport to write a 2 character name as one word for the pinyin? I mean I have always found it pretty ambiguous myself whether there should be a space between words in pinyin.

Another funny thing was that the letterhead they sent had my wife's old address, even though we had faxed the new address several months ago. But the outside of the letter was still addressed to the new place. thank goodness they use EMS for the delivery, and not the regular Chinese post...who knows if we ever would have gotten it then.