Visas for family

This is an old thread but we are in the same situation now. My wife is expecting in March 2012. We applied in September for her parents to come and be here for the birth and stay for 6 months. We had all the evidence I have seen listed here (they have 2 children and grandchild in China, own rental property, etc). They were denied.

We are planning to have them interview again in January 2012. I was wondering if it would help in the invitation letter to state this time that my wife is expecting and she needs her mother her during the first month as is chinese culture? It would seem that the birth of a child is a reasonable reason for the parents to visit and their is no issue with their connections back to China. In addition my financial situation is such that even if they stayed here we could easily support them.

It may be just another crap shoot¡­

Mama and Baba got a visa on their first try. There is nothing extraordinary about their life, income or family for that matter that would keep them in China. My wife is an only child, Mama has some family, but Baba doesn¡¯t. This made us think it was on our shore that made the difference.

Mama and Baba got asked three questions. Why are you going? (Visit our daughter and two grandchildren) What does your son-in-law do? (Works at the University) How long are you staying? (Three months¡­ but really they want to stay six months)

After the questions, the VO did a cursory check of the paperwork we sent to Mama and Baba for the interview, with pictures, etc., but Mama and Baba both felt all of this was decided long before they got to the window for the visa, just like the K-1 was for my wife. In fact on this day, Mama and Baba said everyone got a visa while they were there. (It was a Tuesday and we set it up about a month and a half out for Mama and Baba, if this helps)

We were all prepared to be rejected (we really expected it) and then reapply ASAP, but for an unknown reason we were lucky. Mama and Baba know a couple who have a daughter and grandchild in the US and have been rejected three times. They told us that this couple was wealthy and had no need for any kind of support on this bank and that they also have a son in China with grandchildren.

I think you have to be persistent and be a little lucky. :(

I wish you the best and I hope you get yours soon!

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies and support. My wife's parents have a second interview set-up in Beijing at the end of this month. If they are rejected this time the wrath of 001 will descend upon me because I have defined the 001 convention and included the upcoming birth of our daughter as one of the reasons we have invited my in-laws to visit us in the USA. We will see what happens. 3.5 years later and still playing fun and games with the Immigration Department ....

• 2 weeks later...

My in-laws received their B2 Tourist Visa on the 2nd attempt this past Monday. Basically provided the same information from the 2005 thread linked above. Not sure what was the cause for the first denial several months ago but we got it this time! Maybe it was because their interview was on the first day of work after the Chinese New Year and the VO was in good mood. Who knows.

Wow, Corvette is back! Shenzhen is back! ---and expecting! Congratulations!

Here in Portland, a former Candle couple have been very successful in bringing mom---not the father (not in the application) to care for the baby. First, shortly after birth, and a second time (about 4 months of unused visa time) at age 1+. So its not impossible.

They are of the opinion that the decision is ultimately made at the POE, by the guy who processes the entrance papers---which I find hard to believe, but they cite chapter and verse from immigration law.

Wow, Corvette is back! Shenzhen is back! ---and expecting! Congratulations!

Here in Portland, a former Candle couple have been very successful in bringing mom---not the father (not in the application) to care for the baby. First, shortly after birth, and a second time (about 4 months of unused visa time) at age 1+. So its not impossible.

They are of the opinion that the decision is ultimately made at the POE, by the guy who processes the entrance papers---which I find hard to believe, but they cite chapter and verse from immigration law.

Is very rare if never for the POE officer to deny entry to someone who has a valid visa issued by the consulate. POE has denied entry in cases of Visa/Waiver countries, where the visitor had overstayed on a prior trip, this would not come up until hitting the POE, this would not be the case for someone who is required to have a B2 to visit the USA like from China, the B2 would be denied at the consulate if there were a record of overstay that had a bar placed on it.

My in-laws received their B2 Tourist Visa on the 2nd attempt this past Monday. Basically provided the same information from the 2005 thread linked above. Not sure what was the cause for the first denial several months ago but we got it this time! Maybe it was because their interview was on the first day of work after the Chinese New Year and the VO was in good mood. Who knows.

Excellent news.. congratulations!