Need help. Correct way to terminate lawyer.

Guest pushbrk
You really need the NOA2 in your hot little fist. It is required when you file AOS after she is here.

210627[/snapback]

If that's the case, then the timing becomes somewhat complicated. On a K1, the longest time window available to officially fire the attorney would come after the NVC ships the case to GUZ.

It might only take 30 days from NOA1 to NOA2 with no action needed from the Attorney and as little as a week between NOA2 and NVC complete. That would be a tight window to accomlish much with USCIS.

You need to check with your attorneys office in about a week and re-check each week. NSC gets this out within a couple of weeks at most. Then have your FedEx or whatever ready to overnight to NSC.

The removal of an attorney of record or appearance of a representative gets immediate action by USCIS, usually less than 5 days. I did this with my wife's AOS paperwork and was able to call for specific status in 3 days without her giving verbal permission.

Make sure to keep a full set of copies of what the attorney submitted and you might want to go ahead and create a corrected set in the event something gets kicked back so you are prepared for the possiblity.

There are many who have successfully done this by themselves and a good many who have been happy with letting an attorney manage the paperwork. There are also many who have done this themselves who would have been better off allowing a bad attorney to do it for them. B)

If I were you I'd start working to gather up all the information needed for the DS-230 part 1 and get things together so that if the process moves the papers fast you are ready. Plus it will give you and your SO many things to talk about. :rolleyes: