My New Daughter

...but of course, she has no SS card yet. She arrived K2 (mom was K1) and that (K2) takes longer, right? About how long, on average, for a K2 to be able to work? My wife already has her SS card but of course it's useless now, because we are waiting on the EAD (for both of them). Money's going to be tight until my wife gets a job, so I may be looking at a second job for a while.

Thanks for your input.

Dog

Yep, it's a bummer. Your daughter needs the EAD before she can even apply for a SS card. EADs are supposed to be issued within 90 days, and if not received within the 90 days, you're supposed to be able to go the the local USCIS office and get an interim EAD.

From http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/ead.htm#faq

"...If USCIS does not approve or deny your Employment Authorization Document application within 90 days (within 30 days for an asylum applicant; note: asylum applicants are eligible to file for EADs only after waiting 150 days from the date they filed their properly completed original asylum applications), you may request an interim Employment Authorization Document. You must go to your local USCIS office and bring with you proof of your identity and any documents that USCIS has sent you about your employment authorization application."

This is what I had to do for the kids. With the interim EAD in hand, we then drove over to SS and applied for the cards. Unfortunately, I'm too old to remember how long it actually took before the cards arrived.

I know it's tempting, but keep it legal. :)

Yep, it's a bummer.  Your daughter needs the EAD before she can even apply for a SS card.  EADs are supposed to be issued within 90 days, and if not received within the 90 days, you're supposed to be able to go the the local USCIS office and get an interim EAD

From http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/ead.htm#faq

"...If USCIS does not approve or deny your Employment Authorization Document application within 90 days (within 30 days for an asylum applicant; note: asylum applicants are eligible to file for EADs only after waiting 150 days from the date they filed their properly completed original asylum applications), you may request an interim Employment Authorization Document. You must go to your local USCIS office and bring with you proof of your identity and any documents that USCIS has sent you about your employment authorization application."

This is what I had to do for the kids.  With the interim EAD in hand, we then drove over to SS and applied for the cards.  Unfortunately, I'm too old to remember how long it actually took before the cards arrived.

I know it's tempting, but keep it legal. :unsure:

207702[/snapback]

My wife's daughter arrived in the US as a K-2 follower almost a year (Feb 04) after my wife's arrived (Feb 03). I sent her AOS papers in immediately. Low and behold, she received her conditional card in July 04. She has since taken a part-time job in a local retail store since she is a senior in high school. This may be another option for you instead of the EAD which could take several weeks or months to obtain.