Forms that initially ask for a name clearly label the boxes with Last Name, First Name. But on some of these forms, they ask for names of children or other relatives and just provide a line. Have other people had any trouble with name order if they enter names American style (first, last). Should I use Chinese convention (last name, first name)? I'm concerned about a government data entry person entering the wrong info and causing delays in processing.

Also, I've decided not to use "none" in the "Middle Name" spot and to leave it blank instead.

Any comments about potential name entry problems would be appreciated.

One way that I've used to keep it less confusing is to use all caps for the surname. When it's appropriate, I'll often show the name as SMITH, John or John SMITH. I'll even do this where the form specifically asks for given name or last name.

As far as the middle name goes, I always wondered how often "none" ends up as someone's middle name in the government records. Dear Mr. Brian None 121247. :lol: The general rule is to not leave something blank for fear that someone might take it to mean that you forgot to put something in the space.

In regards to a Chinese SO name I wrote last name (family) first than followed by her first name . I always capitalized her name , for her family names I followed the same procedure. IN regards to US names unless the instructions indicated otherwise I went (first, Middle initial, last) . You can also call DOS see how they list her name in the computer if you worried ..

Edited by Redsunset52 (see edit history)
Forms that initially ask for a name clearly label the boxes with Last Name, First Name. But on some of these forms, they ask for names of children or other relatives and just provide a line. Have other people had any trouble with name order if they enter names American style (first, last). Should I use Chinese convention (last name, first name)? I'm concerned about a government data entry person entering the wrong info and causing delays in processing.

Also, I've decided not to use "none" in the "Middle Name" spot and to leave it blank instead.

Any comments about potential name entry problems would be appreciated.

206890[/snapback]

I don't have a middle name, and all my life, for US and State goverment documents, I have been told to enter: NMN ..............no middle name.

Edited by hankster (see edit history)
I don't have a middle name, and all my life, for US and State goverment documents, I have been told to enter:  NMN  ..............no middle name.

207300[/snapback]

My dad's middle name was S as in Harry S Truman. I didn't have a middle name at birth but picked one up as a result of a Catholic confirmation as a boy.