Proof of Self Employment

Yes the Schedule C with their taxes would prove self employment but they also want to see any licenses or certifications they have related to their work. A copy of their business license can be added with the tax forms.

206753[/snapback]

Bank statements from the business accounts are also good indicators.

Guest pushbrk
My Mom and Dad are filing as co-sponsors for my wife and I and the I-864 asks for proof of self-emplyment. Wouldnt the W-2 and 1040 tax returns prove that? What more do they want?

:romeojuliet:

206746[/snapback]

A "self employed" person doesn't get a W2 for their self-employment income. People who are principle owners of corporations that employ them and pay them as W-2 employees are not "self employed".

Examples of evidence of self-employment would include contracts, business licenses, employment letters on Company letterhead (yes even for the "self employed") 1099 forms etc.

under normal circumstances, yes, only employees do W2s and since my Dad is self employed he shouldnt need to. He is, however, a financial planner highly skilled in the art of navigating IRS bull**** so he has set himself and his business as a corporation from which he pays himself and his 2 employees salaries. So he is both owner and employee...

He did send bank statements so Ill check to see if those indicate personal or corporate accounts. Thanks for the help yall. The end is near!

APRIL 26TH

-Alec

under normal circumstances, yes, only employees do W2s and since my Dad is self employed he shouldnt need to. He is, however, a financial planner highly skilled in the art of navigating IRS bull**** so he has set himself and his business as a corporation from which he pays himself and his 2 employees salaries. So he is both owner and employee...

He did send bank statements so Ill check to see if those indicate personal or corporate accounts. Thanks for the help yall. The end is near!

APRIL 26TH

-Alec

206937[/snapback]

As with any other affidavit of support if the income from the W-2's meet

requirements it's better not to list other items since it opens the door for asking for more evidence to support them.

His choice in setting up the company was to not be considered self-employeed, so technically, he is employed and a business owner which gives him 2 independent sources of income.

Edited by LeeFisher3 (see edit history)