Need solid information on China law...

I have a what seems to be difficult question to get an answer for. I've been residing with my wife and her family in China since October of last year. I registered with the local police and obtained a temporary residence permit. So, all seems well as long as I remain at that residence. My wife and I are trying to see all of China before she comes to the U.S. so we are traveling on a cheap budget and are often staying in youth hostels and places that cannot even be called a "hotel", maybe just a room with a bed at best. The problem is everywhere we go, the issue keeps arising about me being a foreigner and getting the landlord in trouble. I refuse to sleep in a 4-star hotel every night for month after month of traveling around China while neither of us are working and funds are tight. Who knows the law in China concerning this particular situation? Currently we are in Lhasa and having troubles AGAIN. Yes, we are carrying both of our passports and Chinese marriage license. Thank you!!! -Brent

I don't have an exact citation, but I believe the law says something along the lines of that if you stay anywhere other than a hotel authorized to accept foreigners, you have to register with the local police yourself. Of course even if you do register yourself, you still might find some places reluctant to deal with laowai. At the low end of the market we're more trouble than we're worth.

In Lhasa things are probably complicated by the fact you're in Tibet. Do have a Tibet travel permit?

Hmmm... a tough one.

China's national law is silent (I think) on restrictions and only requires a passport or residence permit and completion of a temporary lodging form for foreigners wanting to stay in temporary lodging. http://www.china.com.cn/english/travel/40344.htm (Article 29)

As is often the case though, where the national law is silent, local governments usually fill the gap, and there are still some cities and provinces that restrict foreigners to only certain lodging. For example, Beijing had restricted foreign lodging up until late 2003. http://www.china.org.cn/english/kuaixun/76419.htm

My sense is that the farther you travel from the major metropolitan areas, the more likely it is that you will still encounter restricted lodging. But, like many things in China, enforcement is likely to be spotty and sometimes a small "gratuity" will take care of the problem.

Hmmm... a tough one.

China's national law is silent (I think) on restrictions and only requires a passport or residence permit and completion of a temporary lodging form for foreigners wanting to stay in temporary lodging.  http://www.china.com.cn/english/travel/40344.htm (Article 29)

As is often the case though, where the national law is silent, local governments usually fill the gap, and there are still some cities and provinces that restrict foreigners to only certain lodging.  For example, Beijing had restricted foreign lodging up until late 2003. http://www.china.org.cn/english/kuaixun/76419.htm

My sense is that the farther you travel from the major metropolitan areas, the more likely it is that you will still encounter restricted lodging.  But, like many things in China, enforcement is likely to be spotty and sometimes a small "gratuity" will take care of the problem.

205329[/snapback]

Thank you so much for the help and replies! I believe i have a handle on this now. CFL is so wonderful to me and I can honestly say we wouldn't have passed the interview if it wasn't for CFL. :blush:

I have a what seems to be difficult question to get an answer for. I've been residing with my wife and her family in China since October of last year. I registered with the local police and obtained a temporary residence permit. So, all seems well as long as I remain at that residence. My wife and I are trying to see all of China before she comes to the U.S. so we are traveling on a cheap budget and are often staying in youth hostels and places that cannot even be called a "hotel", maybe just a room with a bed at best. The problem is everywhere we go, the issue keeps arising about me being a foreigner and getting the landlord in trouble. I refuse to sleep in a 4-star hotel every night for month after month of traveling around China while neither of us are working and funds are tight. Who knows the law in China concerning this particular situation? Currently we are in Lhasa and having troubles AGAIN. Yes, we are carrying both of our passports and Chinese marriage license. Thank you!!! -Brent

205325[/snapback]

Known as the "travelers bible" Lonely Planet is a great way to start off with in general. Not a common guide book you can buy in China though. I often found them in restaurants/Hotels that cater to Foreigners.

Lhasa: I was there in 2003 and a few of my friends went in late 2004-5. Being that it's 2 or 3 years later things could have changed involving Youth Hostels and the where and how to's. Most popular area for tourist is Barkhor Area. (Bajiao 八角)

Most places that were friendly are in one area and on the same street, "Beijing Dong Lu".

Places to stay-budget to mid-range:

Banak Shol Hotel (Ba Lang xue Luguan 八郎学 Hotel)

Yak Hotel (Yake Binguan 亚客 Hotel)

Snowlands Hotel (Xueyu Luguan 雪域 Hotel)

There should be plenty of restaurants and other foreigners in these areas. I found that by asking foreigners and the locals (Tibetan shop owners) can be helpful. If your not in the Barkhor area, then everything from hotels to restaurants are limited and over priced.

Note: Things are different there. The Han Chinese are looked down upon by the locals and you could see discrimination. (Bad for your wife if she is Han) Everything and I mean everything is negotiable including Hotel prices. In my experience I preferred dealing with the local people as they preferred to deal with foreigners as well.

As you know many things change in China all the time, with or without reason. Over six months ago the local Gov. (CCP) ordered all foreigners out of Lhasa during the 60th Anniversary for the "Liberation of Tibet". So as a guess, there could be some residual effects from that.

There are restrictions on Hotels. Permits are required that involve having foreigners. If a hotel doesn't have or their permits were pulled, there is nothing you can do about it. There are many hotels that have the permits in all major cities throughout China. A travel guide book of any kind can help you.

Hope your travels go well and from my experience, don't expect it to be easy. More importantly, enjoy your time with your wife.

I don't have an exact citation, but I believe the law says something along the lines of that if you stay anywhere other than a hotel authorized to accept foreigners, you have to register with the local police yourself. Of course even if you do register yourself, you still might find some places reluctant to deal with laowai. At the low end of the market we're more trouble than we're worth.

In Lhasa things are probably complicated by the fact you're in Tibet. Do have a Tibet travel permit?

205326[/snapback]

You wouldn't need to register with the police for travel purposes. A hotel needs to have the permit to accept foreigners. Other wise "no permit, no foreigners."

Travel permits to Lhasa are usually built into the cost of the plane ticket. No paperwork or documents are needed. Things could have changed, but when I went, the deal was I needed to be booked through a travel agency with a tour group. The tour group thing was fake and there were no guides or pre-arranged hotel to stay in. Once I landed I was on my own. So, in order to fly to Tibet as a foreigner your booking a flight and permit at the same time. Cost is usually 2 to 3 times the price of a Chinese citizen. Which isn't uncommon.