studying on a K1

does anyone know the status of the K1 visa holder concerning going to school and / or applying for temp work permits? i talked with UCF guidance counselor and they said all she would have to have was copies of her visa, this just seems to easy so i thought i would bring this question to the all knowing candle.

:)

Edited by izus (see edit history)
I thought you only had ninety days after her entry to marry her.  After that she is illegal, as in overstayed visa.  so therfore, if she is only allowed ninety days to stay on a K1, it shouldn't be an issue.  Did she travel to here yet?

203480[/snapback]

yes only 90 days but from what the lady told me she uses it as a type of document to get enrolled?

that would just be too easy if this was the case.

I thought you only had ninety days after her entry to marry her.?After that she is illegal, as in overstayed visa.?so therfore, if she is only allowed ninety days to stay on a K1, it shouldn't be an issue.?Did she travel to here yet?

203480[/snapback]

yes only 90 days but from what the lady told me she uses it as a type of document to get enrolled?

that would just be too easy if this was the case.

203482[/snapback]

I think I understand, you want to use the original K1 to sign up for her school ,while you wait for adjustment. I hope it works out for you, her :D

If they told you could use it, then just do it.

Edited by obxtrainman (see edit history)
I thought you only had ninety days after her entry to marry her.  After that she is illegal, as in overstayed visa.  so therfore, if she is only allowed ninety days to stay on a K1, it shouldn't be an issue.  Did she travel to here yet?

203480[/snapback]

The visa is valid for 90 days, in which time they get married and file for AOS. Once AOS has been filed she her visa is basically extended Under a Period of Stay Authorized by the Attorney General. http://www.americanlaw.com/unlawfulmemo1.html

I would think that a student visa is also a possibility. If she is accepted, I don't think you have a problem at all.

Foreign students are considered desirable at most universities (cultural diversity). In Texas, they even get (last time I looked) a tuition break over out of state students.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)