Overcome submission to visa in hand

Guest pushbrk

Guest pushbrk
Two days from denial to receipt for us. Good thing I was there in GZ too! I got the needed documents faxed from VA to the hotel in GZ. Wham, Bam, Thank you Mam! And something I never suspected either! So the lesson I learned was; at time of interview, make sure you have copies of everything, even the documents you've already submitted!

202313[/snapback]

I'm not following that timing. Did you submit the requested paperwork the same day you got the blue slip?

Two days from denial to receipt for us. Good thing I was there in GZ too! I got the needed documents faxed from VA to the hotel in GZ. Wham, Bam, Thank you Mam! And something I never suspected either! So the lesson I learned was; at time of interview, make sure you have copies of everything, even the documents you've already submitted!

202313[/snapback]

I'm not following that timing. Did you submit the requested paperwork the same day you got the blue slip?

202315[/snapback]

Not the same day. And it was over a weekend. The interview was on a Thursday and my wife submitted the papers that Monday after I had to leave.

Later it caused problems for her at Detroit POE. The issue date on the K3 visa was different than the date on the paperwork...by 2 days!!! Because of that, they kept her and my stepdaughter on hold for 6 hours!...:hug:

Guest pushbrk

202313[/snapback]

202315[/snapback]

Not the same day. And it was over a weekend. The interview was on a Thursday and my wife submitted the papers that Monday after I had to leave.

Later it caused problems for her at Detroit POE. The issue date on the K3 visa was different than the date on the paperwork...by 2 days!!! Because of that, they kept her and my stepdaughter on hold for 6 hours!...:P

202322[/snapback]

Ok then from denial to submission of overcome data is three days by my count. How long after Monday did she have the Visa in hand?

Currently submission of overcome data is by appointment. They got a blue slip March 24 and an appointment to submit overcome documentation for April 4th. What I'm trying to help them nail down is what to expect under today's procedures.

They'll be back in Guangzhou submitting the overcome documentation on a Tuesday. Will it be Friday or Saturday they should expect visa in hand, is the question on the table. I'll report back what happened.

Edited by pushbrk (see edit history)
As a follow up, I wonder if I should have NOT forgotten my videa recorder on ly last trip.  We are not planning another trip before her interview.  So no tape.

My wife speaks good English but I know her and I know how she starts talking too fast and having pronunciation trouble when she is excited or nervous.  Also she almost stuters when nervous.  Anyway I have concern over this.  I will coach her to be calm in the interview so I guess we will see.

201929[/snapback]

What about using your camcorder and recording the computer screen on the messenger (in a pinch)? My messenger also has voice. Provided you have a webcamera. If you can't get the voice, I am sure they could see her type in English. Also, wouldn't letters from her hand written in English help?

Guest pushbrk
As a follow up, I wonder if I should have NOT forgotten my videa recorder on ly last trip.  We are not planning another trip before her interview.  So no tape.

My wife speaks good English but I know her and I know how she starts talking too fast and having pronunciation trouble when she is excited or nervous.  Also she almost stuters when nervous.  Anyway I have concern over this.  I will coach her to be calm in the interview so I guess we will see.

201929[/snapback]

What about using your camcorder and recording the computer screen on the messenger (in a pinch)? My messenger also has voice. Provided you have a webcamera. If you can't get the voice, I am sure they could see her type in English. Also, wouldn't letters from her hand written in English help?

202337[/snapback]

Those faced with the need to overcome a blue slip end up doing the best they can and almost always that's good enough for the overcome.

It would be pretty difficult to prove who actually hand wrote any letter from China though. The best cure for this is PREVENTION through PREPARATION for the interview.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest pushbrk
I'm in contact with a friend of my wife who must submit a video etc.?How long from submission until visa in hand?

201923[/snapback]

You ask your SO to buy a prepay card from local Citic Bank (zhong xin yin hang). There are directions on the card how to make an appointment with their call center.

When you make a call for an appointment you need the following information:

1. data on her passport: passport number, name, date of birth, ID number

2. Case number, visa category (CR1 or K3?), date of interview

If you call to make an appointment now, I think the date to submit video would be next week. She will get the notice of approval two days after she submits the video and she can pick up her visa after another 2 days.

Since you are here in good old China, I suggest the two of you speaking English for video taking. 2 to 5 minutes is ok. Relax, dude, SO's broken English or Chinglish is acceptable per my experience.

Write her name and case number on the label of the video.

202218[/snapback]

Thanks, Eunice. They are in China but not reading here. They already have the appointment and the video made but now expect to have word in one day and two more days until visa in hand. If it really takes two days to find out then it will be Monday appointment and Friday Visa in hand. If so, I will inform them to expect a visa Friday instead of Thursday. Please confirm.

202228[/snapback]

Mike,

If you get this info.. I'd like to hear how long after the overcome appt submission they get notice. I know that historically it was 2 days, and then heard that they changed this to next day. Maybe its 1-2 days...

202262[/snapback]

I'll be following it closely and will talk at least to the wife after they get word. This all has my wife's attention when it comes to learning and practicing her English along with all other preparations.

202271[/snapback]

Just got the details from my friends. As expected, their overcome was successful. They're Mr. Young at one of the hotels in the Consulate assisted them in getting the video done at minimal expense. They can't say enough good about Mr. Young and his english speaking assistant.

Details:

The overcome appointment was Tuesday at 2:30 PM. It took about half an hour but there was little conversation. Mostly looking at documentation. I'll ask if the video was viewed during this time.

A Key detail is that the VO took her Passport....AND....said to come back in two days for an answer. Answer was Thursday but she was told the Visa would definitely not be ready for her to pick up until Monday. China Post just called and said it was ready. She wouldn't have stayed in GUZ to wait for it anyway.