I just saved a bunch on my insurance

My wife got her learners permit and knowing the joys of having a new driver, we reluctantly stopped by to see our insurance agent. Yesterday we received our new and improved policy update and a refund check because of a new discount.

I am just amazed that adding a beginning driver would reduce our premiums by 5%, but they obviously know something about my wife's driving I haven't yet experienced. :rolleyes:

Guest ShaQuaNew
My wife got her learners permit and knowing the joys of having a new driver, we reluctantly stopped by to see our insurance agent. Yesterday we received our new and improved policy update and a refund check because of a new discount.

I am just amazed that adding a beginning driver would reduce our premiums by 5%, but they obviously know something about my wife's driving I haven't yet experienced.  :rolleyes:

200700[/snapback]

Amazing what a little Gekko can do.... :( . Congrats Lee. That's great news....

uh, Lee is there anything about your driving record you are holding back?

Maybe we should change states. Not only no driver's license yet but in California her pending status makes her ineligable for a state ID card (California says you're not legal until you get approval).

Guest ShaQuaNew
When my step son got his learners permit, my insurance company didn't require any additional information, but when he got his drivers license, the rates went way up despite the discount for having multiple drivers and multiple cars.

200738[/snapback]

What percentage increase would you say?

When my step son got his learners permit, my insurance company didn't require any additional information, but when he got his drivers license, the rates went way up despite the discount for having multiple drivers and multiple cars.

200738[/snapback]

What percentage increase would you say?

200741[/snapback]

Initially, insurance on his el cheapo Neon was about twice the cost for my car; after his first wreck, his rates doubled. He eventually dropped my carrier in favor of a lower cost carrier - Vinnie's something of other, I think. :D

Guest ShaQuaNew
Do they think that with a learner by your side, you will no longer be a reckless driver? :P

200748[/snapback]

Perhaps we should propose legislation to the insurance commission to reduce insurance rates so that they are directly proportional to the effect that mopslaps have on the American driver. Mopslaps are known to make one slow down and quit zig-zagging through traffic, and therefore deserve a lower rate...

:D

Same thing with us.

My wife had a China driver's license (hardly ever drove there though since she had no car ...), but no US license so I didn't put her on the policy. She occasionally drove my car (with me in it) and almost gave me a heart attack once, but I initially didn't want to add her to the policy because I thought it would be so expensive, being a "new driver" and all. Anyway, she finally got her "learner's" permit, and I thought I had better stop delaying and add her to the policy so I don't get in trouble.

We use Progressive. I went online and in the section where it said you could add a new driver, it flashed a warning to the effect that it was against the law to not add your spouse or any regular driver of the car. So, anyway, I called them, figuring if I explained that she had no US license before so I hadn't added her.

I basically said that, they updated my status to "married" and told me I would be getting a $8 refund on my policy for this term (1/2 year). I said, excuse me? She said yes. In fact, it was only that small because she is only on the policy as of the time I called in to add her; had I called and put her on when I renewed a month ago, they would have given us the refund for the entire term (I think it's about 5%.. or about $11). So, they refunded us $8. She told me when and if my wife does get her actual license, I should call back and they'll update the records, but we got the insurance cards in the mail yesterday, and we're both insured for my old car until August.

Evidentally married people are safer drivers.

No luck here in Massachusetts. My car insurance went up from $900 to $1700 a year when I added my wife's name on the policy. In order to get a discount, she must have 6 years of driving with clean record. I have been telling her to obey the rules (like stopping at stop sign and stop before making right on red).

No luck here in Massachusetts.  My car insurance went up from $900 to $1700 a year when I added my wife's name on the policy.  In order to get a discount, she must have 6 years of driving with clean record.  I have been telling her to obey the rules (like stopping at stop sign and stop before making right on red).

200824[/snapback]

That's a big increase ...

What insurance company do you use?

uh, Lee is there anything about your driving record you are holding back?

Maybe we should change states. Not only no driver's license yet but in California her pending status makes her ineligable for a state ID card (California says you're not legal until you get approval).

200709[/snapback]

If you move to Kansas you get an added bonus besides being able to get a state id, you get to upgrade the number of square feet for the house for less money. :blink:

No luck here in Massachusetts.  My car insurance went up from $900 to $1700 a year when I added my wife's name on the policy.  In order to get a discount, she must have 6 years of driving with clean record.  I have been telling her to obey the rules (like stopping at stop sign and stop before making right on red).

200824[/snapback]

That's a big increase ...

What insurance company do you use?

200828[/snapback]

I use Commerce Ins. It really doesn't matter because Massachusetts is the only state that regulates car insurance. The rate is about the same for all car insurances.