Well, finally went to the Denver SS office.

Did a search today on CFL and found the necessary info I needed to know regarding what we needed and got a link to the SS webpage about K1 visas. From what I understand, the K1 visa itself, whether you have gotten married or not, makes the visaholder eligible for work and a SS#.

From the SS webpage:

My immigration document shows K-1. How do I get a work Social Security number?

Question

I have come to the U.S. to marry my boyfriend. My immigration document shows “K-1.” How do I get a Social Security number so I can work?

Answer

The K-1 symbol on your immigration document indicates that you are the fiancé of a U.S. citizen and you are eligible to work. We, therefore, can assign you a number and card so that you can work.

To apply for a Social Security number:Complete an Application For A Social Security Card (Form SS-5); and

Show us documents proving:

Immigration status;

Work eligibility;

Age; and

Identity.

Take your completed application and documents to your local Social Security office.

So, that means the K1 visa itself qualifies her for a SS#. We went with the application, her passport w/visa and attached I-94, and her birth cert from China. He said "Oh good, the INS has her information here", meaning she was in the computer. It only took 10 minutes, and she should have it in 2 weeks (but most likely a few days).

Was easiest part of this process !

Next step: marriage in Vegas !

Anyhow, it was easy!

Anyhow, it too

The problem that others have had is in finding someone (including supervisors) who is aware of this. Suggest that you go armed with all the requested documentation plus a copy of the SS webpage to convince the SS worker.

We had the same experience that Ken and Jie did, except that we had to remind the guy that the K-1 suffices for employment authorization.

The problem that others have had is in finding someone (including supervisors) who is aware of this. Suggest that you go armed with all the requested documentation plus a copy of the SS webpage to convince the SS worker.

We had the same experience that Ken and Jie did, except that we had to remind the guy that the K-1 suffices for employment authorization.

200551[/snapback]

The guy we had did hers like it was second-nature, no question whatsoever about the K1.

Just in case, we did the same thing...printed the Q&A from the SSA website and brought it with us.

I was also armed to the teeth for SSN problems. but also went smmoth as slik, including the return visit to get replacement card in here new family name.

Ken, we got married in Vegas and loved it. A few hints - you can go the Clark county website where you and Jie can fill out the marriage applications ( you both need one) print them and take them with you. Send the request for the certified copies of marriage certificate when you return - ignore any mail you get about expedited services.

The Valley of Fire state park, is just 1 hour to the northeast, very cool.

Best Wishes !!!

Well, finally went to the Denver SS office.

Did a search today on CFL and found the necessary info I needed to know regarding what we needed and got a link to the SS webpage about K1 visas. From what I understand, the K1 visa itself, whether you have gotten married or not, makes the visaholder eligible for work and a SS#.

From the SS webpage:

My immigration document shows K-1. How do I get a work Social Security number?

Question

I have come to the U.S. to marry my boyfriend. My immigration document shows “K-1.?How do I get a Social Security number so I can work?

Answer

The K-1 symbol on your immigration document indicates that you are the fianc?of a U.S. citizen and you are eligible to work. We, therefore, can assign you a number and card so that you can work.

To apply for a Social Security number:Complete an Application For A Social Security Card (Form SS-5); and

Show us documents proving:

Immigration status;

Work eligibility;

Age; and

Identity.

Take your completed application and documents to your local Social Security office.

So, that means the K1 visa itself qualifies her for a SS#. We went with the application, her passport w/visa and attached I-94, and her birth cert from China. He said "Oh good, the INS has her information here", meaning she was in the computer. It only took 10 minutes, and she should have it in 2 weeks (but most likely a few days).

Was easiest part of this process !

Next step: marriage in Vegas !

Anyhow, it was easy!

Anyhow, it too

200546[/snapback]

Wow, Ken, great news on the SS thing. Thanks, I'm sure it will come in handy when Lynn gets here. Gollee, it sounds like you and Jie are doing really, really well and for that I am thankful. Keep up the great work ... Wheel Man

Wow, Ken, great news on the SS thing. Thanks, I'm sure it will come in handy when Lynn gets here. Gollee, it sounds like you and Jie are doing really, really well and for that I am thankful. Keep up the great work ... Wheel Man

200669[/snapback]

Hey Paul, good to see you are on the way to GUZ, cant wait to hear when it arrives !

I was also armed to the teeth for SSN problems. but also went smmoth as slik, including the return visit to get replacement card in here new family name.

Ken, we got married in Vegas and loved it. A few hints - you can go the Clark county website where you and Jie can fill out the marriage applications ( you both need one) print them and take them with you.  Send the request for the certified copies of marriage certificate when you return - ignore any mail you get about expedited services.

The Valley of Fire state park, is just 1 hour to the northeast, very cool.

Best Wishes !!!

200656[/snapback]

Thanks for the tips Ed, we have our trip planned for April 25-27, the 26th is our target date. I did find the apps on their website, looks to be pretty easy !

200669[/snapback]

Hey Paul, good to see you are on the way to GUZ, cant wait to hear when it arrives !

201108[/snapback]

Yeah, man, it's really great news. Chef4u and I it looks like are in the same packet sent to GUZ, maybe our SO's will get interview date on same day, ye ha ye ha. Exciting things happening. I'm reading you guys posts, sounds fantastic for you and Jie. Well, tell me, has she booted you out yet for snoring? hahaha, just kidding. Thanks for your friendship and remember, when Lynn and I go to see her best friend in Oregun ... you are right on our way and we'll be coming to see you guys. That is if gas isn't $5 a gallon, smile. You take care, my friend, Wheel Man

Thanks for your friendship and remember, when Lynn and I go to see her best friend in Oregun ... you are right on our way and we'll be coming to see you guys. That is if gas isn't $5 a gallon, smile. You take care, my friend, Wheel Man

201123[/snapback]

Hey Paul, we'll keep the pillows fluffed and a light on for you guys !

Ocassionally I've seen a post with someone having a problem, but our experience in applying for the SSN was that easy too.

The main reason I've seen someone have a problem is if they wait until the I-94 in the passport expires - then the K1 visa holder is no longer eligible to receive a SSN until they've applied for AOS and received the Notice of Action.

We did, however, have a problem when we received the SS card. The government is rather picky on where these are delivered (for obvious reasons). My wife (then fiancee) did not have her name listed on our mailbox for some reason at that time - we live in an apartment, and I asked the management to make sure both our names were on the mailbox, but for some reason or another, they didn't. Anyway, we didn't receive the SS card in the time they told us (they said it could be up to 1 month when we applied since she wasn't in the computer at that time yet - we applied less than a week after she arrived!).

No big hassle after that though. My wife just went down to the SS office and said she'd applied. The office told her that they'd sent the card, but it had been returned since her name was not listed on the address. They gave her the actual number and resent the card - it arrived within a week. Of course, we made sure her name was added to the mailbox the same day she reapplied.

The Lesson: Make sure your SO's name is listed on your mailbox ASAP to avoid things being returned to sender.