is it better to go through JFK?

whats this i understand that if Chun arrives via JFK there is a stamp on her visa that she needs and will have to obtain it later anyways.

is it better do go through JFK?

this is what someone told me while i was waitting during her interview.

while i was at the GUZ waiting for my dream to walk out with a smile on her face i met some guy who said he was one of the originals of Candle...

he mentioned PJ and said he handed the reigns down to Don when he left...

i asked him what his nick was and he said R2D2

some guy named Houghman or Huffman...or something like that.

he said he had started another website for some reason or other....

anyways this guy told me about being sure to have SO go through JFK when she arrives due to some special stamp that she gets....

any clues?

I think it's for Employment Authorization, but as a K1 she is authorized anyway, But only for 90 days. For K-1's, I think that stamp doesn't help you.

The moral of the story is - when she gets here, apply for an SSN AFTER 2 weeks (to allow her time to show up in the computer). Then, if she wants to work, you wil need to apply for EAD (employment authorization) as soon as possible.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)
Guest ShaQuaNew
whats this i understand that if Chun arrives via JFK there is a stamp on her visa that she needs and will have to obtain it later anyways.

while i was at the GUZ waiting for my dream to walk out with a smile on her face i met some guy who said he was one of the originals of Candle...

anyways this guy told me about being sure to have SO go through JFK when she arrives due to some special stamp that she gets....

any clues?

196365[/snapback]

Searched for that name and anything resembling it, but couldn't find it Bill. Maybe one of the old-timers will happen by and remember whether or not they were a member. Here's a link on POE

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9960

Edited by ShaQuaNew (see edit history)

any clues?

196365[/snapback]

I beleive he is talking about the EAD stamp. This is the temporary employment authorization stamp that is given. It expires after 90 days which is when the K1 expires also.

I was told prior, that you could only get at the POE at JFK. I don't know if that is true. It was a watse anyway, she never did fill out a job application while she was here (aprox. 43 days). If she won't work in the 1st 90 days, I wouldn't worry about it.

Edited by nygatl15 (see edit history)
Searched for that name and anything resembling it, but couldn't find it Bill. Maybe one of the old-timers will happen by and remember whether or not they were a member. Here's a link on POE

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...pic=9960&hl=poe

196369[/snapback]

Yes, he was a member and yes, the old-timers remember him (I'm not old enough - although I've seen references to his posts).

Maybe Don's recent house-cleaning cleaned himout!

196365[/snapback]

:angry: :lol: R2D2 :lol: :lol: JFK is still issuing the EAD stamp, I think its the only POE that is ?

he was there for a CRT he told me :angry:

he seemed pleasant and its always nice to speak with someone over there where you can relate to home with....

specially since i had way too much coffee in my system to even sit still in my mind let alone sit still in that little coffee shop :lol:

any clues?

196365[/snapback]

I beleive he is talking about the EAD stamp. This is the temporary employment authorization stamp that is given. It expires after 90 days which is when the K1 expires also.

I was told prior, that you could only get at the POE at JFK. I don't know if that is true. It was a watse anyway, she never did fill out a job application while she was here (aprox. 43 days). If she won't work in the 1st 90 days, I wouldn't worry about it.

196370[/snapback]

Getting an EAD stamp will make it easy to get a SS#. Without a SS#, you can't even open a joint bank account.

The K-1 by itself (without a stamp or seperate EAD card) is recognized by the SSA as providing work authorization. Individual SSA employees (and even offices) may not know this, however. Be sure to apply within 80 days of entry, and find a supervisor of SSA office that knows what they're doing.

A 90 day work authorization authorizes you to work, of course. But individual employers may be reluctant to hire a 90 day employee.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)
I remember him very well. He was something like member #2 on Candle and is the guy who convinced me to talk to P.J. about being a moderator. Many years ago, now. I always liked Jim.

196440[/snapback]

Jim was a country singer. He also persuaded me to join CFL.