Chinese names on the forms.

On my wife’s U.S. immigration visa her name is shown as Feng, Xin Hui. I am sure that I wrote her name Xin Hui with the space in middle on the immigration forms. I think I made a mistake because when she received her greencard her name appears as Feng, Xin H but at the bottom of her greencard between the codes her name does appear as Feng<<< Xin<<< Hui<<< It appears that they are picking up the H as her middle name. My question is should I try and change this on her greencard now? I think that we will be traveling internationally in one month and I don’t want this to hold up our plans. I heard that when she applies for citizenship that she can change her to one of her liking. My advice is to write the Chinese name on the forms as Feng Xinhui. Any advice would be appreciated.

My advice would be to check with the Immigration Office where your case is being handled. It seems each office has different requirements. As to the travel, there should be a stamp in her passport now that gives her travel up to one year from the date of the issuance of the green card. I understand your concern about whether or not you might have hassles getting back into the country, so I can only tell you our recent experience.

When Li received her first green card, it had the wrong birth date on it. We called USCIS and we had to go all the way back to Memphis to prove that it was their mistake, not ours. We proved it.

Two weeks later, Li received her new green card with the same mistake on it that there was to begin with. Called USCIS and, guess what? They said go back to Memphis. I went ballistic on them.

To make a long story short, Li had to travel to China last November on business and we had fears that the error on the green card would cause problems. We called USCIS and they said she had to come to Memphis.

Heh Heh. :huh: :o

Did I mention, Memphis is 280 miles from here?

Went back to Memphis and, I kid you not, was told by the Immigration Officer that we didn't need to come to Memphis and the green card needed to be corrected by mail. We were told that travel would not be a problem, due to the stamp in the passport.

Li went to China. Upon return, they didn't even look at her green card upon re-entry. Just looked at her passport.

Oh, did I mention that we received the new green card and it had another error on it? :o :(

Called USCIS. They told us to go to Memphis.

I told them to go to...... :blink:

Got ahold of Memphis office. They gave us intructions on how to handle by mail.

At any rate, we had no problems with travel, unless you count three trips to Memphis trouble.... :rolleyes: