Question about apply for CR1 within china

Would anyone be able to help me out on this?

Here's the situation.

1) i'm going to china to get marry in MAY (in 2 month)

2) i want stay there with my wife until she gets her VISA

3) All i know right now is that there's only 2 type visa (chinese visa that is)that i can have inorder to apply for my wife in china. that is either working or student. is this true?

4) Can i apply just for a regular vacation visa and change it to others within china? (i'll find a job while i'm there or get to be a student some how)

5) if yes to #4, What is it i need to apply for a working or student visa in china.

6) What if, i start a business in myself in china. can i apply for a working visa then?

in other words. What and how do i need to do, inorder to stay in china and apply immigration visa for my wife from china.

any information will be helpful

Thanks!

Here's the situation.

3) All i know right now is that there's only 2 type visa (chinese visa that is)that i can have inorder to apply for my wife in china. that is either working or student. is this true?

4) Can i apply just for a regular vacation visa and change it to others within china? (i'll find a job while i'm there or get to be a student some how)

5) if yes to #4, What is it i need to apply for a working or student visa in china.

6) What if, i start a business in myself in china. can i apply for a working visa then?

in other words. What and how do i need to do, inorder to stay in china and apply immigration visa for my wife from china.

Thanks!

195714[/snapback]

Welcome to CFL!

You can get a tourist visa to go to China and may extend the tourist visa within China (I can¡¯t remember how many times).

If you find a job in China, you can convert your tourist visa to a work visa. Not easy though.

The immigration process for your wife may take a year or so. If you leave your job here, how can you furnish the Affidavit of Support form?

Here's the situation.

Thanks!

195714[/snapback]

Welcome to CFL!

You can get a tourist visa to go to China and may extend the tourist visa within China (I can¡¯t remember how many times).

If you find a job in China, you can convert your tourist visa to a work visa. Not easy though.

The immigration process for your wife may take a year or so. If you leave your job here, how can you furnish the Affidavit of Support form?

195720[/snapback]

For the Affidavit of Support thing. I have a little saving up and got someone that would co-sign with me. Also, during the time i'm in china. I will either have a job or get something work out on my own. Got a few friends there, so getting a decent job there shouldn't be a problem. But i would still like to try get something work out on my own first. Anway, that should be enough to cover it?

I think i'm looking at is what they called a DCF? The place i'm going to stay in china is Hubei. I'm more concern with what is it do i need to apply for this DCF while i'm staying in china.

Here's the situation.

Thanks!

195714[/snapback]

Welcome to CFL!

195720[/snapback]

For the Affidavit of Support thing. I have a little saving up and got someone that would co-sign with me. Also, during the time i'm in china. I will either have a job or get something work out on my own. Got a few friends there, so getting a decent job there shouldn't be a problem. But i would still like to try get something work out on my own first. Anway, that should be enough to cover it?

I think i'm looking at is what they called a DCF? The place i'm going to stay in china is Hubei. I'm more concern with what is it do i need to apply for this DCF while i'm staying in china.

195726[/snapback]

DCF FAQ

I think those FAQs can be compiled into a book.

Good Luck!

Edited by Stone (see edit history)
got lots of info, still little confuse.

1) If i go in as a "L" visa. Can it be change to some other type while i'm in China?

2) What is required to get a Chinese Resident Card?

195730[/snapback]

1) Yes, an "L" can be changed to another catergory. It is not unusual for someone to go to Cn as a "tourist" and then accept employment. Make sure it is a reputable firm that is AUTHORIZED by the CN Government to sponsor a work visa. I beilieve the requirements are listed at the Chinese Embassy/consulate web sites... i.e., physical, sponsorship, registering once approved etc.

2) Chinese Resident Card, generally associated with a Chinese Employment, business or student visa I forget the actual catergories- Z, F and ?????

195732[/snapback]

A work visa is a 'Z' visa, which can last anywhere between 1 to 2 years depending where you live. After you get the 'Z' visa, you essentially become a temporary resident of P.RC.

Chinese_Wife!!! is right, he is always right, :( that the Chinese firm which sponsors you for a 'Z' visa should be a reputable firm (not a mom-and-pop shop).

Guest pushbrk

1) If i go in as a "L" visa. Can it be change to some other type while i'm in China?

195730[/snapback]

Requirements for the "Z" work visa...

http://lagos.chineseconsulate.org/eng/lszj/zgqz/t232220.htm

For the "X" student visa

http://lagos.chineseconsulate.org/eng/lszj/zgqz/t232237.htm

For the "D" Permanent resident visa

http://www.nyconsulate.prchina.org/eng/lsq...77409693921.pdf

195730[/snapback]

For the "X" student visa

195736[/snapback]

But these don't seem to address changing visa category once you are in the country or did I miss something?

I see. Thanks for the info. The reason i'm asking is because everything is plan out for me to be in China no later than the last week of April. Just incase i don't have everything rdy for my a "z" or "X" visa then i can just try to get it while i'm in China.

Thanks again to all of your help!

Guest pushbrk

195730[/snapback]

For the "X" student visa

195736[/snapback]

But these don't seem to address changing visa category once you are in the country or did I miss something?

195738[/snapback]

Yes. Changing status in country was addressed by Stone and ChineseWife prior to my post.

I believe the original poster's intent is to go there as a "tourist" first and then change to a work visa. This could be done as an in country procedure. For me, in Shanghai, this was done at the Chinese Gov. office called the "Exit/Entry Bureau" as were repeated extensions of a tourist visa. Many other large cities also have an Exit/Entry Bureau. I'm not familiar w/ Hubei. I would say that I have gleaned a lot of info about this from the website shanghai.expats.com either from direct links, forums and/or posts there. Likewise the English version of the "City of Shanghai" web site- takes a bit to find the link to the Exit... It will probably be VERY SIMILAR but not exactly the same in HuBei in DETAILS. Sorry I don't have time to provide links- slooooow dial-up connections here.

Edited by Chinese Wife!!! (see edit history)

Many people do change once they are here but you should be careful. It can be very difficult. Technically you should leave the country before you can change. But, usually in China there are ways around everything. Another problem is Hebei will be stricter with the laws. The closer to Beijing you are the more strictly they enforce the laws. Only last year, about this time, in Liaoning, the government refused to issue or renew a Z visa to anyone who didn't have a Bachelor's degree, a TEFL certificate, and two years working experience. Many, many foreigners were forced to leave during this time. And they started cracking down and checking to make sure the private schools were not employing anyone who had a L visa.

Also, if he applies for the "D" Permanent resident visa, won't he have a difficult time to prove domicile?

Many things here just depend on how strict the government is currently being. Another example, every few months all of the DVD places get shut down by the government for selling pirated DVD's. Then, about a month later they open back up again. If it all possible I would suggest getting a job and coming on a Z visa. I think it's the safest way. But, I don't like to take risks and it's only my personal opinion.

Let me relate my situation.

I first came to China on a student visa...left the school I was in to be with the person who became my wife...bought tourist visas for about 2 years, and worked...finally found a legitimate job and became z visa...was able to start processing visa for wife, and now we have the interview on mar 9th.

It is very possible, and as far as I am concerned, quite easy to change a tourist to a working visa. The hard part is finding a company that will sponsor it. The classic thing here in shenzhen is that every school/training centre/company will offer you a working visa, but none ever come through. It can also be really trick trying to find a good legitimate job. I would recommend trying to find something at home first, and then just come in that way. I just got lucky!

Regardless, it can be done. In South China they seem to be really lax about the rules. I accidentally let my tourist visa expire for a month once and I didn't get into too much trouble!

nate