expiration of documents

I am new here. But I do need your help. My husband's interview was scheduled on March 27. We got his police clearance and my employment letter in Sept, 2005 when P3 arrived. They will be over 6 months at the time of interview. Will these document work for the interview or Should we get new documents?

Also, I have not filed my 2005 Tax return yet, will my 2005's W2 work? Thanks.

Your documents are fine. You should start doing your 2005 tax return. You might do a new I-134 just in case.

----------------------------------

http://guangzhou.usconsulate.gov/kvfaq.html

What's the period of validity for medical reports and notarial certificates?

Notarial birth certificates, marriage certificates and divorce certificates have unlimited validity. Medical reports, notarial single certificates and police certificates are good for one year from the date of issuance.

Edited by tonado (see edit history)

My understanding is that the police report is only good for 6 months; my SO is in the process of renewing hers. I think that letter of employment will be OK ( for 1 year). Remember the translations and notarization.

2005 IRS...if you are in the process of filing; at least have 3 prior years and your W-2 from your employer for 2005. I am sure that after 4/15 they get alot tighter. I am also in the process of completing my 2005 taxes and will at least have a copy of my W-2 on hand. I will also have current bank savings statements and will declare real estate.

It's all to show financial capability.

Good Luck,

Phil

Welcome to CFL. As Tony linked, the normal length for expiring documents is one year, but a lot of people start to feel nervous after six months and go ahead and get fresh documents just to be safe. After waiting almost a year for the interview, some folks just don't want to tempt fate. I was among those and got updated documents.

You don't need to get the employment letter translated since it's already in English. However, other documents written in Chinese will need a certified translation. I'm sure Phil was referring to the other documents.

Good luck.