Question regarding my Chinese travel visa

I just received my first chinese travel visa. I went through an agency because of my location (south dakota). When I recieved my passport back with the Chinese travel visa attached, my last name was misspelled. It is just one letter in the middle of my last name. I called the agency back and the gentleman there said it was ok since my passport number and birthdate were correct. Has this happened to anyone here? If so, how were you treated at customs? The man at the agency said this happens often and that the consulate does not issues corrections for name misspellings.

Can't say I've seen this happen before. I will say this though. Unlike some consulates/embassies, I have always found the Chinese consulate to be very responsive to e-mail inquiries. I once applied for a visa and the bank employee forgot to sign the bank check covering the visa fee. I dropped the consulate (Houston) an e-mail and asked if they would hold the application until I sent another check rather than returning the entire application. This was before we had to apply in person or use a service. The consulate was quick to respond and very accommodating.

You might try sending them an e-mail and asking them.

Can't say I've seen this happen before.  I will say this though.  Unlike some consulates/embassies, I have always found the Chinese consulate to be very responsive to e-mail inquiries.  I once applied for a visa and the bank employee forgot to sign the bank check covering the visa fee.  I dropped the consulate (Houston) an e-mail and asked if they would hold the application until I sent another check rather than returning the entire application.  This was before we had to apply in person or use a service.  The consulate was quick to respond and very accommodating.

You might try sending them an e-mail and asking them.

193103[/snapback]

Thank you for your advice and suggestion. I will do that.

I too had this problem my first Visa. I also used an agency, traveldocs. I also called them about the spelling. They also told me as long as the passport number and DOB are correct there is nothing to worry about. I was verry apprehensive at immigrations but had no problems at all. But I did not volunteer that there was a problem. From my experience I would say you should have no problem, good luck.

I too had this problem my first Visa. I also used an agency, traveldocs. I also called them about the spelling. They also told me as long as the passport number and DOB are correct there is nothing to worry about. I was verry apprehensive at immigrations but had no problems at all. But I did not volunteer that there was a problem. From my experience I would say you should have no problem, good luck.

193238[/snapback]

Thank you for sharing your experience. Knowing that this has happened before and that you had no problem puts my mind at ease. The agency that I went through told me the same thing about the date of birth and passport number. They also sent me an email answer, upon my request, stating,

"This is something that happens quite often. Two years ago, the Chinese Consulate would correct it by issuing a new visa. They stopped doing that since then because they have had an understanding with Chinese customs that misspelled names is not an issue. As long as it is a misspelling, not an entirely different name, you will have no problem entering China."

and they also wrote,

"Unfortunately this is something that does happen from time to time. The

Chinese Consulate uses a scanner, so are we told, to scan your passport

information. Somehow, the scanners they use have difficulty

differentiating some letters. If you look at the misspelled letters, they do somewhat look alike."

This agency did write that they will fax me a copy of the statement from the Chinese consulate regarding this issue if I call them during business hours. And, I did email the consulate as Frank suggested as well.

Edited by bleowheels (see edit history)