English in middle school

I heard of recent news reports in the US that Chinese was now being taught and that in 50 years the number of Chinese in the US would surpass hispanics. Has anyone else heard this? Does anyone know if teaching Chinese in US schools is really happening? Sound like a great way for SO's to hook up with good jobs if they are looking.

My wife and I would teach English to the English teachers on the countryside.

There is a HUGE need for native English speakers to teach. There are 2 problems with that though. One is that you have a lot of backpackers that have no idea what they are doing, teaching. The other problem is that the schools don't know how to effectively use the foreigners. You will hear the term "Dancing Monkey Show" a lot...

189799[/snapback]

And the pay is probably poopy too.

189841[/snapback]

About 1.5 years ago I checked this on-line and on shanghaiexpats.

Pay can and does vary. One place was offering me 1,000 RMB a month and a 1 bedroom apartment- did NOT care for the conditions of employment or location.

Two major factors CAN determine wages/compensation:

1. Experience: A layperson can expect little in wages, some college/ TOEFL or TOESL cert more, advanced English degrees considerably higher.

2. Where you teach: Uncle Chen's private after hours school, tutor, Beijing University.

Generally wages also consist of an SMALL apartment (varying size/condition) maybe a few paid utilities to much better accomadations including perhaps maid and an available driver.

Working for a Chinese concern can be quite different than having a US boss. Also be REALLY careful of the visa situation if you want to do this. Promises never kept is common- either they can't get you a resident visa or re-imbursement of the various fees for such.

Maybe jbray and sylinchina can add more than I (and search old posts here too).

190061[/snapback]

I think any Masters degree or PhD makes a big difference in compensation in China.

There are also opportunities to teach other subjects, in English, at Chinese universities. In a conversation with one of Lao Po's extended family, who used to teach at the university level, I was told that, with my MBA and work experience, I could expect a decent wage teaching business courses in English at the university level.

I heard of recent news reports in the US that Chinese was now being taught and that in 50 years the number of Chinese in the US would surpass hispanics.  Has anyone else heard this? Does anyone know if teaching Chinese in US schools is really happening? Sound like a great way for SO's to hook up with good jobs if they are looking.

190071[/snapback]

Yes, I've read that Mandarin is being increasingly offered as a high school language alternative.