Setting Yourself Up For Possible ID Theft

I have thought of this also. I agree if you don’t provide the information your application would be denied or go in some direction you don’t want it to go. I think this is why you hand carry financial documents to the interview process. If asked during the interview process the documents are shown and then given back to you after they are glanced at. Since we want something from immigration they get to make the rules.

It’s great you are this far along in the process. :)

Guest ShaQuaNew
I trust my SO completely. I am putting my side of the P-4 together right now and on my personal and vital records have my SSN., D.O.B. and account numbers are on this paper work. Can I scratch these out?  I would hate to see this vital information fall into the wrong hands. Any help on this?  :lol:  :P

184757[/snapback]

I listen to Clark Howard quite often who also has a website...

http://clarkhoward.com/

His radio program and website both have very imformative information. He discusses ID theft often on air and with his listeners. He reports the statistics show that those that bank online, and check their account often online are at the least risk. Those at highest risk are those that do not. The vast majority of those that fall victim to ID theft are not the computer and savvy, but rather those that fail to use common sense.

There are very few companies or services that will ever request your SSN, Driver's License Number, or Bank Account Number; the majority being when you apply for a loan, work with a government agency, insurance or medical company. Anyone that calls or contacts you willy nilly and requests such info is likely a scam.

edit...

Mar 11, 2005 -- How identity theft really occurs

Identity theft has become huge, as we all know. But how and why does it occur? Many people think that identity theft occurs because of what we do online. But just slightly more than 10 percent happens online. Almost all of it occurs when someone steals your checkbook, your wallet or your mail. The Internet actually helps in reducing ID theft, according to the Better Business Bureau. Monitoring your checkbook and credit card status online is a huge deterrent to identity theft because people find things quickly and can report them right away. So, if you still have a checkbook and you refuse to part with it, keep it at home and know where it is at all times. This is especially important for businesses, which are expected to keep a higher standard of security when it comes to securing checks. Businesses have liability for checks written that are stolen. So, keep very good track of your checks if you own a business.

http://clarkhoward.com/shownotes/category/6/162/

Edited by ShaQuaNew (see edit history)
I trust my SO completely. I am putting my side of the P-4 together right now and on my personal and vital records have my SSN., D.O.B. and account numbers are on this paper work. Can I scratch these out?  I would hate to see this vital information fall into the wrong hands. Any help on this?  :lol:  :P

184757[/snapback]

I to had this concern, I had send my SO copies of my passport, Divorce dicree , which has my SSN, and and other info with mothers maiden name. For Marriage registration in HK. I called my bank and set up an additional password to access my account. Sometimes you just have to have faith and take a chance.

Mat :lol:

Edited by Matman (see edit history)
I trust my SO completely. I am putting my side of the P-4 together right now and on my personal and vital records have my SSN., D.O.B. and account numbers are on this paper work. Can I scratch these out?  I would hate to see this vital information fall into the wrong hands. Any help on this?  :V:  :P

184757[/snapback]

I to had this concern, I had send my SO copies of my passport, Divorce dicree , which has my SSN, and and other info with mothers maiden name. For Marriage registration in HK. I called my bank and set up an additional password to access my account. Sometimes you just have to have faith and take a chance.

Mat B)

184793[/snapback]

I too trust my SO completely. As far as her having my SS# in her hands, or my passport, I never worry about it.

We have discussed I.T. and she is aware of the issue, the value of the #, and is very protective of it.