Filing income tax

Joanne,

Were you included on a previous tax return by your SO as a Nonresident Spouse Treated as a Resident

You would be considered a resident alien for 2005 taxes unless you took some extreme actions to revoke that and forced the previous tax years to be changed removing you from the previous year(s).

184742[/snapback]

No, I was not included in the past few years. I was included prior to 1998 when I worked in US and had taxable incomes.

Edited by Joanne (see edit history)
We were very ignorant of this tax issue the first few years when we were in China.  I just want to do it right from the day#1 I became a perminant resident. :) He is too busy to worry about these minor details.

184746[/snapback]

In that case you definitely want to see someone GOOD who understands taxes for Aliens. There is a possibility that you could amend your previous years taxes, since married and receive a refund for previous taxes he paid. But they put a time limit of 3 years to make changes of this type.

After you do this, you might want to consider putting him on an allowance and not allow him to waste money. http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons6/24.gif