Avoiding the '5 minute video' blue slip

I have noticed a few requests for videos again lately. The issue is communication. If you SO can demonstrate in the first 30 seconds of the interview that she can speak English well enough for the two of you to communicate then that is one less reason for a blue slip.

I have noticed a few requests for videos again lately. The issue is communication.

183648[/snapback]

from CFL members ?

if from others outside of CFL (or someone who suddenly comes here once they get the slip), then we really have little influence on helping them prepare.

The requests are always out there.. but the data appears fairly clear that for CFL members it is not the same level as a year ago..

thanks for pointing that one out...

So, based on the data supplied by nooneufo, (including Carl's post which is not included in the recent analysis):

35 blue slips (across 2004-2005)

9 video requests

Boba got his 4/2005 and I saw him as the turning point...

prior to him there were 6, since him 2. Those two after were not regular posting members, one was a single post of his slip.

From my first encounter with this webpage, my sole focus was on those '5' minutes.. and I put most of my effort to search and organize the interviews to look for anything that would help towards avoiding the blue slip...  most of the results of this can be found in the FAQ for sure...

But, the language issue was particularly of interest since my SO did not speak any english when we meet and I had hoped for her english to be "good enough" by the interview time. In the end, and with some advice from another member, 

I decided on the following:

1) The previous year had many denials which wanted a video; the current one showed decline in video.. despite...

2) I also noted that more and more SOs were doing the interview in chinese (but a decline in videos!)

3) My SO would not be completely comfortable attempting english.

4) We prepare a 'battle plan' which she played out to perfection in the interview (see link):

--a. she would open in english and request chinese;

--b. answer anything simple in english, but use chinese to show no hesitation in answering

--c. clearly labled outside of folders in chinese so she could quickly retireve anything asked (nothing was asked for).

--d. We had a very clearly backup plan if the blueslip came.. my SO was thoroughly aware of the interview as possibly two phases with a return visit if more was requested... the blue slip was only one of two colors she should expect to say your done or we want more info..

Which VO you get is a crap shot.. and I still feel it is a waste of time to try and figure out the personalities of the VOs as if to anticipate their differences.. Let your SO be comfortable and natural.  I would say that they do better spontaneously than applying too much thought as to which way to 'act or speak' to a specific VO, in a moments notice.

My advice is that the SO do it in chinese

Interview experience, Questions, etc

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12690

183644[/snapback]

This is all rather shocking to me, because I have heard several say she needs to practice her english, and now I hear that it is ok for her to do it in mandarin. thanks for all the information everyone, as usual, CFLers are a fantastic help to us !

Guest pushbrk

183644[/snapback]

This is all rather shocking to me, because I have heard several say she needs to practice her english, and now I hear that it is ok for her to do it in mandarin. thanks for all the information everyone, as usual, CFLers are a fantastic help to us !

183676[/snapback]

I wish there was a proven sure-fire formula. Nobody is an expert because they only get to actually do the interview once and few of the actual beneficiaries post here. We get their reports second hand. Some are of better quality and accuracy than others.

That said, what seems to be the best combination for those who do not speak English well is the following.

1. Be confident and comfortable. (this can be faked)

2. Petitioner present and beneficiary hands both passports to VO

3. Confidently and politely ask, IN ENGLISH to conduct interview in Chinese.

4. And this is really number 1, have everything in order before arrival.

5. No obvious red flags in the case. (Good luck on that formula.)

Additions?

Since Ken is obviously reading the FAQ :lol: , this list is for others to see...

A.1.16.7

1. Be organized in the paperwork so the beneficiary can hand over quickly what is asked. Separate small folders are recommended.

2. Prepare the best pictures (ones with family are best, but be prepared to state who is in a picture.. if a US relative, make sure beneficiary knows who is who). Possibly prepare one picture of you two in traditional custom, like if you went to Yunnan.. The sight of a USC in Chinese clothes usually brings a smile to a VO.

3. Group photos and correspondence into early, middle, recent ... some have been asked to see "early pictures" or "recent correspondence".

4. Dress appropriately, not too casual, like business casual

5. Be CONFIDENT, look in the VOs eyes (or at his nose or forehead). Usually the interview is quick and informal.. but has turns into an interrogative atmosphere. If asked about "why do you love him" or "why does he love you", state what you feel. Don't withhold a little personal feeling if that is what the VO wants.

6. Be the first to say "good afternoon" with a smile and get the first jitters to calm down.

7. Have one email log visible on the counter or on your lap showing communication.. Particularly if you want to show communication in Chinese or other language.

8. Have one picture visible if you want to convey anything specific that picture shows. I recall one BENEFICIARY had a picture of them in a ~{!0~}majority~{!1~} groups dress, and the VO smiled at seeing it.

9. When asked for passport, give petitioner passport as well, particularly if he is there to establish this.

10. Answer directly, simply, and truthfully. If it is not enough, the VO will ask more.

11. If you don't understand, just say so and ask to repeat the question, don't guess at it (and never lie).

12. IF asked for financial info, I would give it all to them. with the one asked on top. (I-134, employer letter, taxes with W2, bank letter). They cannot say you did not provide the right financial document then.

13. If a child is present, they often are not asked any questions. Just let the child know to sit by quickly unless directly spoken to.

14. Prepare your BENEFICIARY to know which town/state you will marry in. (have seen this asked enough that K1s should prepare for it).

15. If any previous marriages, expect more questions.

16. If your child will follow later, state this so that the visa packet is broken into two packets.

17. If you get a denial slip, be aware that overcome evidence is almost always going to get you the visa... Just get what they ask for. Remember, it is rare to NOT ultimately get the visa. Be strong and supportive. Stick through it and you will get the visa!

The biggest thing I can add to this is there is no formula. The process is in constant flux and what they want today may be different than tomorrow. I believe it is intentional to keep scammers off balance. Still all of the above are good tips and certainly can't hurt. Above all be honest and natural. VOs are trained to spot little clues that someone may be lying.

very well put Carl !

Even the most prepare can be denied and the ill-prepared passed at times... there is the 'VO factor' which is elusive and incomprehensible once in a while...  but we have to remember to try and view it from their side of the window as well, since what they decide is what happens..

183688[/snapback]

My own view is this: all the FAQ's and posts indicate being well prepared, which we are, and that perhaps 95% (give or take) get the visa on the first interview.

Therefore,

Being the ultimate optimist, as well as having confidence in our relationship and Jie's response to our practice questions, I have already purchased my roundtrip ticket for the interview, and subsequently, have purchased her one way ticket to come back with me on the return.

Its a gamble, and Jie knows a blue slip is very possible, but also that the odds are in our favor. In fact, I think Jie has better odds of getting the visa than my own hometown Broncos have of going all the way.............