immigration times

An email from my SO stated that one friend, whose husband is doing his own paperwork, is still waiting for her interview package from GZ. Other friends, same timeline, already have recieved theirs.

Question, Will using a lawyer help to speed up the process?

I have considered doing the work myself, but have heard these reports

from her and wonder what the other people might be doing different.

Ideas??? :P

Guest ShaQuaNew
An email from my SO stated that one friend, whose husband is doing his own paperwork, is still waiting for her interview package from GZ. Other friends, same timeline, already have recieved theirs.

Question, Will using a lawyer help to speed up the process?

I  have considered doing the work myself, but have heard these reports

from her and wonder what the other people might be doing different.

Ideas??? :P

182486[/snapback]

First, welcome to candle :candle: , it's nice to have you here. To provide the best help, perhaps you can provide the following:

1. Are you the US Citizen or Beneficiary?

2. What type of Visa are you applying?

3. When and where was the petition filed? e.g., Texas, Vermont, California, etc.

4. Have you or your partner received any correspondence from the US government? What type? When?

5. Has you or your SO completed any additional paperwork or requests for evidence?

Conventional wisdom says that having a lawyer will not speed up the process with the consulate. If an individual did his/her prep right, I would think the process would be the same.

One might think that using a lawyer might indicate more seriousness than a self petitioning individual. Personally, I don't think it makes a difference.

I would say that doing your own paper work is a way to familiarize with the process and thus to be better prepared for the final interview. Besides, there would be added chance for error if you don't have a experienced, responsible and meticulous lawyer. Lawyer's time is valuable, communication problems are bound to happen. Of course, having a lawyer can provide you added security and sometimes needed guidance if you don't rely on it completely.