An update on changing Asylee status

LeiQin and I had our preliminary appointment with the Immigration Attorney today. Here¡¦s a brief summary of what we learned:

Asylee Status = Refugee Asylum Status

Asylee status essentially assures that her and her son can remain in America for life without fear of deportation. It can take up to 10 years for an Asylee to receive their Green Card, however. Because an Asylee cannot be readily deported, there are only 5,000 to 10,000 Asylee Green Cards issued annually. Asylee Status take a lower priority in Green Card review than non-Asylee, (immigrants status).

In order for LeiQin to travel to and from China, there are two different options that can be filed:

1) Advance Parole

2) Refugee Travel Document

The latter is the normal and easiest way to secure her travel, prior to her receiving her Green Card. It normally takes four months to receive documents that will allow her to visit her family in China and return. She will also need to have a physical exam prior to travel (USCIS requirement).

We are now married. LA County usually takes up to two months to mail us our Marriage Certificate. We will need this before we file for a change to AOS from Asylee to married. After completion of a satisfactory physical exam and receipt of the Marriage License we will file for her AOS. After filing, it should take a year to receive her Green Card.

Remember, I was taking notes, so this may not be exactly the way it will evolve or pan out. I will update this as things proceed.

Edited by Dennis143 (see edit history)