Online communication

When I go to Hong Kong I want set up my SO with a computer, and translation software. So we can write directly to each other and she will not have to go to the translation club. Email seems to work fine with cutting and pasting chinese characters, but yahoo IM doesn't. Would like suggestions on chat programs that accept chinese.

Mat

Guest pushbrk
When I go to Hong Kong I want set up my SO with a computer, and translation software. So we can write directly to each other and she will not have to go to the translation club. Email seems to work fine with cutting and pasting chinese characters, but yahoo IM doesn't. Would like suggestions on chat programs that accept chinese.

Mat

177659[/snapback]

My wife uses the Kingsoft Translation software. It worked fine for her on a friend's computer but she's having a problem on hers. If your SO is computer capable and can competently type in Chinese then an up to date computer with good translation software should work fine.

Even so, there is the copy and paste function I don't know how to get around. Right now, our messages look really weird because I translate my English with Google language tools and paste into the Yahoo messenger. She responds in English. For some reason she can't do the two way translation on her computer right now.

We'll have to overcome this fairly soon in order to use any messenger logs for communication proof. It actually is quite functional though. My daughter learned the process in a few minutes last night and was able to have good communication with my wife while I took a call from a customer.

I'd love to hear about ane better ideas.

Mat

177659[/snapback]

Yahoo will cut and paste Chinese if your computer is configured to read chinese characters. I like to use http://qq.bur.st/index.php

I type in simple english questions or words and get the Chinese translation , than cut and paste on Yahoo IM and click "send". When my SO will IM me in Chinese I cut and past her words from Yahoo IM and than paste to get the English translation, so on and so forth.

Edited by Redsunset52 (see edit history)
Use Skype.com software..

normally people use this for telephony over the internet (if both sides call each other on it, the calls are free).... but you can use their IM chatting and it will pass chinese back and forth... also, you'll get logs of calls or chats.

177667[/snapback]

This is true of Yahoo Messenger, also. Be sure to set up Archiving under "Preferences", "Archiving". And then go in and save each archived session as a text file to make sure you don't lose any. (This gets it out of the default archive management).

I entered in English, my SO in Chinese - we each translated the other's messages. In Internet Explorer, select "View", "Encoding", "Chinese - simplified" - this applies to Yahoo as well.

I also took occasional screen snapshots of the web cams to show her at the computer.

Just print out the Archive listing (or keep your own record if you want to show the times you were connected), and a small stack of the actual transcripts.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)
Guest pushbrk
Use Skype.com software..

normally people use this for telephony over the internet (if both sides call each other on it, the calls are free).... but you can use their IM chatting and it will pass chinese back and forth... also, you'll get logs of calls or chats.

177667[/snapback]

This is true of Yahoo Messenger, also. Be sure to set up Archiving under "Preferences", "Archiving". And then go in and save each archived session as a text file to make sure you don't lose any. (This gets it out of the default archive management).

I entered in English, my SO in Chinese - we each translated the other's messages. In Internet Explorer, select "View", "Encoding", "Chinese - simplified" - this applies to Yahoo as well.

I also took occasional screen snapshots of the web cams to show her at the computer.

Just print out the Archive listing (or keep your own record if you want to show the times you were connected), and a small stack of the actual transcripts.

177676[/snapback]

I arrange my monitor so my both webcams appear in the top corners of the screen. I have a message window across half the bottom two thirds of the screen and a translation window on the other half. Every couple weeks, I'll hit the Print Scrn button and past the picture in to MS Word.

My plan is to print a few of the Word docs in Color showing the detail of exactly HOW we communicate. The Yahoo message window also shows that we have the voice service connected. I also take care that the display names in the message window are our actual names. This is done in contact preferences.

Time will tell if this relationship proof pays off but it's part of my current plan. Thanks to Randy for the screen shot idea.

Now, if there was a software that would eliminate the cut and paste function so I could just type English and the text would appear as Chinese on her end, I would be in heaven.